Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Problems

• Please log in to reply

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Hi

I am having problems with my USB's

Everytime i go to use something for usb, it gives me a malfunction error or something.

My USB's worked fine before i was told to install an update for service pack one by a member here to get rid of malware.

Now i cant use my USB's at all.

I have:

SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller

on an AsRock p4s61 motherboard.

I am aware there are some sort of conflicts between the SiS 7001 and windows xp.

This has to be fixable, as they were working before.

Thanks

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi pleasehelpmenow!

Have you tried updating the drivers for your motherboard? Check out this link.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 12 October 2005 - 07:45 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
How many USB Devices do you have – List them –

1st - Have you verified your USB BIOS settings – [Integrated Peripherals] Section – You want them to be set to [ENABLED] and/or to[Enhanced] - perhaps they got reset somehow during your [Malware] Repairs (??) Also verify that [PnP] is [ENABLED] & that [Resources Controlled by (AUTO-ESCD)] is [ENABLED] in [PnP / Peripherals Configurations] Section – USB are PnP devices & PnP must be [ENABLED] in order to FIND DEVICES -

2nd – Here is a procedure to setup [Device Manager] to view [Non Present Devices] – It has 2 Phases to it – Do both – and then use [Device Manager] to see what your USB Host Controllers have listed – This will give you added ability to look at your USB History -

Preparation Process for [DEVICE MANAGER] to View [Non Present Devices] – This is a 2 Phase process that needs to be done only once –

Phase – 1 Set [Folder Options] to [Show Hidden Files & Folders]
Phase – 2 Set [Device Manager] to [Show Non Present Devices]

Phase – 1 Open [Control Panel] and set [Folder Options] to show [Hidden Files & Folders] – (1 time process)

(1) – Click [Start] Button
(2) – Scroll up to [SETTINGS] > Click on [CONTROL PANEL]
(3) – Open [Folder Options]
(4) – Click on [VIEW] Tab
(5) – Scroll down to [Hidden Files & Folders]
(6) – Click the [SHOW HIDDEN FILES & FOLDER] Option
(7) – Deselect OPTION – [Hide Protected OS Files – Recommended]
(8) – Click [OK]
(9) – Close [Control Panel]

Phase – 2 Prep [DEVICE MANAGER] to view [Non Present Devices] –( 1 time process)

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [ADVANCED] Tab – (on System Properties)
(3) – Click [ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES] Tab -
(4) – Under [SYSTEM VARIABLES] Section – Click [NEW] Tab –
(5) – In [NAME] Section – Type – devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
(6) – In [VALUE] Section – Type the number 1
(7) – Close out by Clicking [OK] Tabs – 3 Times – (3 levels/panels to close)
(8) – Click on [START] Button > Then click on [RUN] –
(9) – Type – devmgmt.msc – and then Click [OK] – This will open [DEVICE MANAGER]
(10)– Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices] on Pop Down Menu –
(11) – View [Hidden Devices] – Indicated by Faded Gray Print – (Close when completed) –
(12) – Restart Computer – (To ensure a good [Initial] beginning -

AFTER WINDOWS is Running -
Open [Device Manager] in Normal manner & Set [VIEW] options to [SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES]

Standard Process to Open [DEVICE MANAGER] with [Show Hidden Devices] Option set -

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER]
(2) – Browse down [Menu] to [Properties] > Double Click to Open Properties Page
(3) – Click on [HARDWARE] Tab
(4) – Click on [Device Manager] Tab
(5) – Click on [View} on Menu Bar
(6) – **Click on [Show Hidden Files]**
(7) – Expand Folders as reqyired
(8) – You need to double left click or right click each line to reveal additional info
(9) – [Non Present Devices] will be denoted by –(Light/faded gray print)

** Step 6 will have to be set to [Show Hidden Files] on each opening of [Device Manager] **

Post back a summary of what you see – regarding USB Devices – Are there any Entries with [Yellow Warning] Signs – Are there any [Non Present Devices] Instances on any of your USB Devices – What is status of BIOS settings for USB in [Integrated Peripherals] – [ENABLED] or [DISABLED]

Is Service Pack 1 still Installed – (That is where USB Drivers are located) - You can do a search for these Drivers -

1- Click [Start] > Highlight [Search] > Click on [For Files & Folders]
2- In [Search for Files & Folders – TYPE the following

*usb*.sys

Click on [Search Now] – This should list all USB Drivers loaded on your PC – you should see something on all your USB Devices – Just post back – Did you find any – [YES] or [NO]

Post back requested info/results – then will set up a plan to reinstall USB Devices –

The Bios settings should have fixed problem – After setting BIOS – you may have to disconnect all USB Devices – Restart PC – and connect only printer 1st – and see if PnP detects [New Device] & installs printer –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 13 October 2005 - 04:38 PM.