Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Restarting on every 3D intensive game

• Please log in to reply

fisherking

fisherking

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Alright, I'm just about ready to pull my hair out here. My pc restarts without warning while playing any 3D intensive games (UT 2004, Rome: TW, etc.). I have also noticed it restart when I run nearly anything that is intensive for my pc (disk defrag, virus scan, memtest).

So here's a list of things I have already done to try to fix the problem:

1. Replaced video card (geforce 4 ti4200) with new one (geforce fx5500)
2. Replaced Ram (512mb) with two brand new sticks totaling 1gb
3. Replaced psu (crappy 230w) with brand new 350w
4. Checked out temp. (cpu is only reading about 36c when pc restarts; don't have sensor on gpu)
5. Cleaned out pc case with air can
6. TURNED OFF the automatic restart option in windows system, but I still don't get a BSOD, PC restarts just the same.
7. Downloaded and tried all of the latest (and some of the not so latest) drivers for my video card.
8. Flashed my mb bios, and updated drivers for about every device I can think of.
9. Reset my pagefile memory in virtual memory
10. And about 50 other things I don't even remember anymore.

*P.S.~ If it is any clue; The problem started after the fan went bad on my ti4200 (card has been replaced since then though).

There has got to be some way to make the madness stop!!! :tazz:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Pretty comprehensive.

So the only original thing in there now is the drives and the motherboard.

I presume you've tried a Windows repair/reinstallation onto a spare HD and trying something "intensive" on a clean installation?

Could be a motherboard problem inside the firmware of one of the chipsets. Could you find somebody else with the same chipset and processor support to try and eliminate that?

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
What do you consider intensive? (Needed Information)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you done a full reformat and reinstall of windows.