Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

EMERGENCY! NO DESKTOP!

• Please log in to reply

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
One last thing I would like you to try until we throw in the towel until you get your XP CD back is to reboot your computer, tap F8 again and this time choose LAST KNOWN CONFIGURATION THAT WORKED. If that doesn't make the desktop appear, try rebooting again and this time choose VGA MODE and see if that works.

Let me know if either works.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 12 October 2005 - 10:39 PM.

Advertisements

mike_jones

mike_jones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello

When I chose LAST KNOWN CONFIGURATION THAT WORKED, after I pressed enter, a black screen came up with nothing on it. It was completely blank with nothing on it, it's like one of those screens when Windows is loading. So I waited for like 5-10 minutes and nothing happened so I rebooted manually using the restart button and chose VGA MODE, but I had the same problem still, no desktop.

Thanks for everything though. :tazz:

mike_jones

mike_jones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Edited by mike_jones, 13 October 2005 - 10:10 AM.

mike_jones

mike_jones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello

I got my XP CD back and now I'll wait further instructions.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hey mike_jones!

Glad to see you got your CD back from your cousin. Now what I would like you to do is do a Repair Installation of windows. Don't worry all your installed programs will still work after it's complete and you won't lose any of your files or settings. It will only replace the operating system files (C:\WINDOWS). You will need your product key for this and will have to redo all windows updates afterwards.

Fenor