Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP loss of sound

• Please log in to reply

nArCkY

nArCkY

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Well this isnt the 1st time this has happend, but the thing is out of no where i start to get messages that i have no sound card detected, or to be exact, when i go to Start>control panel>sound, speach, and audio devices> then try the advanced volume controls, i get the message "There are no active mixer devices available. to instal mixer devices...etc" just says how to install after that, witch i have tried.

The other times i have no clue what i did, the sound would just come back as wierd as it goes away so i im still clueless on how to go about this, and would rather not wait ^_^ also, with different music players (music match jukebox, winnap, etc.) i get dif messages that are all generaly around the fact i have no sound card or something selected. Any feedback would be nice !

Thank you ! -narcky

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi nArCkY! Welcome to G2G!

Can you please go into the DEVICE MANAGER (Right Click MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES, click on the HARDWARE tab and click the DEVICE MANAGER button) and click the '+' symbol next to SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS and post what is listed there for me please. Also post any items that have yellow exclamation/question marks next to them.

Fenor

nArCkY

nArCkY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you very much =) and thanks for the fast responce. ok did wat you said i have this listed:

Sound, video and game controllers
-Audio Codecs
-Legacy Audio Drivers
-Legacy Video Capture Devices
-Media Control Devices
-Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA ® Audio Controller
-Video Codecs

and that be it, no red checks or question marks, all seem to be just fine.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Can you please download Everest Home Edition, install it and run it and then post the log it creates here.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 12 October 2005 - 10:03 PM.

nArCkY

nArCkY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
err hehe sry but, i DL'd it and uhh what do you exactly want me to give you / how to run it? i open it, but i'm not sure what your asking me to do =) sry sometimes i miss things lol

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Download & Run [EVEREST] & do the following steps:

1 – Expand [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
2 – Click on [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT] >[Quick Report-Motherboard] > [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [nArCkY-Mobo-1] & attach to a post here.

Fenor

nArCkY

nArCkY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
uhh hope thats it lol

Attached Files

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yup that's it! Give me a couple mins while I look it over.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I notice that you don't have Service Pack 2 installed on your computer. What I suggest you do is go to Windows Update and download all the critical updates that it says you need to download. This will take awhile so please post back in THIS topic once you are done and we will continue further. I receive an email every time you reply to this topic so I will know when you reply.

Fenor

nArCkY

nArCkY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
ahh it worked ! ^_^ many thanks !

Advertisements

nArCkY

nArCkY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
eh...its happend again, i rebooted my comp a few days ago, and everything was fine till bout a hour ago, so i went and re did everything on this topic (updates) and now i'm still stuck with no sound...same exactly thing as last time, so here's my EverEst report sence reboot...

any feedback would be VERY helpfull !!

-nArCkY

Attached Files

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi nArCkY!

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but I have been gone all day and this is the first time I've been able to use my computer. For your sound, please go HERE and download and run the file for your VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 24 October 2005 - 06:25 PM.

nArCkY

nArCkY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hey, np at all =) and i installed what the file on ur link gave me and no luck, still no volume and err i ono what that is lol, but yea no luck =\

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to START-->CONTROL PANEL. Double click on SOUNDS & AUDIO DEVICES. Click on the AUDIO tab. What is listed in the DEFAULT PLAYBACK drop down box under the SOUND PLAYBACK heading? If nothing is listed when you first click on the audio tab, hit teh arrow on the right side of the box and see if there is anything listed in there. Tell me what is listed if there is anything listed or tell me nothing is listed if there is nothing there.

Fenor

nArCkY

nArCkY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
ok did what you said, all the boxes in the audio tab are like light grey and i cant click them down, all say no something, but under sound playback it says "No Playback Devices"