Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just upgraded to broadbandroutine

• Please log in to reply

Swagman

Swagman

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Having finally got round to upgrading to broadband ADSL I'm wondering what you guys do at night. I don't much fancy the idea of leaving the Pc switched on with a 'live' broadband connection so I've come up with a few options but wondered if any one has any idea what the 'best practice' is :

1. Switch off PC but leave Modem/Router (Netgear DG632) powered up and connected

2. Send PC into sleep mode but leave Modem/Router powered up and connected

3. Leave PC in sleep mode and pull the phone line from the Modem/Router

4 Leave PC in sleep mode and pull the cable from Modem/Router to Ethernet card in PC

5 Leave PC in sleep mode and pull the power on the Modem/Router

6 Leave everything switched on overnight but enable the Internet lock on Zone Alarm.

Appreciate your thoughts..thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The environemtally friendly route would be to switch off the PC if you do not need it

Leaving the modem on will be fine, provided no programmes have permission to wake the PC (scheduled maintenance), and others then have permission to access the internet (e-mail).