Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Limited to no Connectivity" error msg

• Please log in to reply

SLOLindsay

SLOLindsay

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am seeing a lot of people with this problem, but unfortunately their fixes haven't worked for me yet. I ask for your patience and assistance, as I'm an amateur at this. :-)

I am running Windows XP with security pack 2 on a Compaq laptop. I have SBC internet service, a SpeedStream modem and a router (Linksys 802.11B).

I read the case study about sending and receiving packages, but I don't understand what I need to do to fix it.

I downloaded a patch (KB884020) to try to fix the "Limited or No Connectivity" problem, as well as a zip file called "SP2_connectivity_fix.ZIP" but that hasn't worked. On Add/Remove Programs, I cannot find a Windows hotfix called "Q815485" that some people say is causing the problem. If I can't find it, how can I remove it?

Someone suggested going into internet protocol under my wireless connection and resetting the IP Address and Subnet mask. How do I get there? Right clicking on the connection and going to "Properties" does not work -- it takes me to General and Wireless Networking tabs with no choices regarding IP addresses.

This is what came up when I pinged my router and reset my IP address (or tried to):

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\lindsay frederickson>ping 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=150
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=150
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=150
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=150

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 5ms, Average = 3ms

C:\Documents and Settings\lindsay frederickson>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : N1000V
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : charterpipeline.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-02-B9-B7-F1
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : charterpipeline.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Compaq WLAN MultiPort W200
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-02-44-2D-0B
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.104
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 66.215.64.14
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 12, 2005 9:50:26
PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, October 13, 2005 9:50:26 P
M

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
If you go to your control panel, and open your "Network Connections", you should see two different connections, one labeled Local Area Connection 2, and one labeled, Wireless Network Connection.

From the post, I assume you are connecting wirelessly. Right-click the Local Area Connection 2, and click "Disable". Once it is disabled, see how it goes...

SLOLindsay

SLOLindsay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No dice. I disabled it, as you said, and I'm still getting the yellow triangle with the exclamation point in the bottom right part of the screen -- even though the signal is strong and it says I'm sending and receiving high numbers of...something.

What's going on? Is this because of the service pack, or the firewall or something?

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
is there a reset button on the router restore the router to it's original settings.

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

is there a reset button on the router restore the router to it's original settings.

Yes, it usually requires a safety pin or paper clip thin piece to fit in there on the back; usually hold it down for 10 sec. or so

brettdaman

brettdaman

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Okay, im no newbie to the tech world. as a matter of fact its all I been doing for the past 4 years. 24/7/364.

So heres the deal.

XP Pro Sp2 just ran auto updates and get "the return of the Limited or no connectivity issue". We all remember that one. I say return b/c when SP2 was first applied it showed its ugly head. Auto update updated 11/07/2005 4:08am applied some patches and now have that $hf_mig$ folder with updated hotfixes in it.

I ran the OL' 884020 and the fixreg.reg and then WinsockXpfix.exe to no avail. Even system retsore did not help. I do get an APIPA on my LAN NIC. Im suspecting that billy boy and his trustee kronies put out a bad update that is frenching up the network connectivity as I can send packets but not recieve and I connect fine to my router. Nothing I have done has fixed this. Updated the NIC drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled the NIC, TCP/IP, IE, and my foot! nothing works.

I have two PCs that are having this issue. I have two others that do not auto update and I am deathly afraid to apply the updates as i need my pcs running to make money. I work from home in my jammies helping computer techs all over the country support their clients. You could say im a tech's tech, but i am a stumped tech's tech. Im no dummy but this is leaving me feeling like an idiot. any help insight or a "buy a MAC" would be greatly appreciated. :tazz:

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey SLOLindsay, Welcome to G2G

At this point what you want to do is power down all 3 pieces of equipment. Once everything is off, power up your cable modem and wait until you have solid lights. Then power up the router and wait for 30-60 seconds, then power up your PC.

Let me know how you make out.

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey brettdaman, Welcome to G2G

In the future please start a new post, some people may not realize you are asking a new question or talking about a different issue.

With SP2, one of the things you want to check is the Authentication tab on the network connection properties page. You do NOT want to enable 802.1x authentication.

brettdaman

brettdaman

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My reply was in addition to the first post on this topic.

did th epower down thing, authentication is fine.

I was in the chat last night and it was suggested to do NETSH WINSOCK RESET, I iwll be able to try this later.

Everyone in the chat was trying to help. I have been thru all the obvious, swap NICs, run winsock fix, applied 884020, updated NIC drivers, ran the netsh int ip reset command, reinstalled NIC and TCP/IP, tried a static IP, even uninstalled SP2 on one machine, nothing is working.

Was wondering if a new update did this or if the updates render the router outdated. Maybe a firmware update on the router is in order.

Its comcast with digital phone going to a linksys befsr41 router v? XP PRO Sp2 with all the latest greatest, no firewalls other than XP, cleaned of spyware and viruses, etc...

I just dont unsderstand how 2 pcs with different NICs can have the same issue at the same exact time.

my two thoughts: 1. need to flash router
2. MS update flubbed either the NIC or IE

I can connect to router and when I ran the 884020 and the fixreg.reg it got rid of the limited or no connectivity message and I get APIPA, i can send packets but not recieve packets.

Its boggling me as I do tech all day long and fix issues like this and worse and am 90% successful. This makes me feel dumb and I may be overlooking something or not looking in the right place. I dont claim to know everything but I do claim that theres not much I dont know. lol.

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
of course, everyone is looking at the client end of this..i just had a case this week where they had a cable ISP. their router was set to autodetect, so they were getting a public DHCP address..but couldn't go anywhere with it because the ISP's DNS servers were borked....... :tazz: ...and the ISP didn't know there was a problem....etc...

Sometimes, ya gotta wonder what we pay for...... :)

brettdaman

brettdaman

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hear that! what DOOOO we pay for? :woot:

any who, router is dhcp set to get auto ip from isp. no issue with comcastic since other machines are ok. so i am :woot: and am feeling :) and :woot: and :) i want to be :P not :P so please :P because i now :tazz: