Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU.........Dual Core Or Not

• Please log in to reply

bobbyray

bobbyray

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Greetings all

Well I'm done as much research as I can handle and I can't make up my mind.

I'm in the procces of building a new puter and I just don't know what to get.

I would like a dual core but latley I've been asking my self If I really need one. I Want a very fast system that's a give. I would do some video editing and some gaming and backing up my dvd library. I usually stay on one task at a time.

That bieng said: in the dual core chips,
I'm looking at the Athlon 64 x2 3800+ 939 socket and the Pentium D 820 775 socket

Does anyone here have any exerience with these chips? Am I looking at something that is over rated?

Maybe I should get at single chip processor, it seems like I can get more speed on a single chip for about the same amount of money.

maybe I'm not seeing something, I am still learning about computers

Take the AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ socket 939 single chip
* Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64
* Model: 4000+
* P/N (PIB): ADA4000ASBOX
* Stepping: CG
* Frequency: 2400Mhz
* HT Speed: 2000
* Voltage: 1.50V
* Max Temp: 70°C
* Thermal Power: 89W
* L1 Cache: 128KB
* L2 Cache: 1MB
* CMOS Technology: 130nm SOI
* Socket: Socket 939

And nowthe Athlon 64 x2 64 3800+ socket 939

* Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core
* Model: 3800+
* Ordering P/N (PIB) ADA3800BVBOX
* Frequency 2000Mhz
* HT Speed 2000
* Voltage 1.35V-1.40
* Max Temp 71°C
* Thermal Power 89W
* L1 Cache 128KB + 128KB
* L2 Cache 512KB + 512KB
* CMOS Technology 90nm SOI
* Socket Socket 939

They are about the same price so which is a better chip for a person that wants a fast computer and is not so worried about multitasking.
I'm confused, it seems like the single chip would be faster??????

How about that Pentium D 820
# Processor - Intel® Pentium® D Processor
# Processor Number - 820
# Architecture - 90 nm technology
# L2 Cache - 2x1MB
# Clock Speed - 2.80 GHz
# Front Side Bus - 800 MHz
# Execute Disable Bit - Can help to prevent some classes of viruses and worms that exploit buffer overrun vulnerabilities thus helping to improve the overall security of the system.
# Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology - Processors with Intel EM64T allow platforms to access larger amounts of memory and will support 64-bit extended operating systems.
# Dual-Core - Provides two execution cores in one physical processor allowing the platform to do more in less time while enjoying smooth interaction with your PC.

Compare that to the Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz E , 1MB 800 FSB Socket 478 Prescott Hyper Threading Bare Processor .

They are also about the same price??????

So I guess I will leave you with this.
If I were using my computer on mostly single tasks, Will I be throwing away money getting a dual core?

Thank you very much for reading my post.
Any info would be greatly appreciate it.

Bobby

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Unless you have some compelling reason to go dual core, and single core is faster for what you are intending to do, then what is the question? My personal opion ONLY, I would go for AMD.

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
HI

You will not get a lot of performance boost with X2. I think you should get 64 4000+ or 64 FX-55 or 64 FX-57 if you have money.

Billre1967

Billre1967

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
From what I've read the dual core chips don't have much to offer yet. Most programs don't take advantage of it. And in some cases programs have run slower with the dual core. This will change in the future when there are more programs that take advantage of it. The question is if you'll even still be using that computer by that time.