Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changed Network ID, now I can't log on

• Please log in to reply

_jameshales

_jameshales

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey,

I just tried to connect my pc and laptop using some crossover. I was trying to change the Workgroup my laptop belongs to (because I use it at work), and now when I start the laptop, I can't gain access.

The login screen appears fine, but there was a Domain textbox there before that isn't there. Also sometimes an alert comes up when I try to login, saying that I might be specifying the wrong domain, but I can't even choose which domain to log into.

This really sucks, because I'm going away on Monday, and I was going to take the laptop with me.... now it won't work...

Can anyone help, please?

_jameshales

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
So how far can you get exactly? What is on your screen? Is there a spot for you to type username and password? Or windows welcome screen? Is your computer set up for the workgroup now, or is it setup to login to the domain?

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

_jameshales

_jameshales

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It gets to the login dialog (username, password), and there are no bugs there, except that it doesn't accept my password (invalid... probably changed inadvertently).

_jameshales

_jameshales

_jameshales

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Maybe I should add a few more details.

I tried pressing F8 when Win was loading, and it came up with a list of options. Tried them all, and they don't work.

I cannot access any other accounts (I don't know the password for the Administrator, because Win was setup at my workplace - the whole installation was just a generic image for all computers to be used in that network).

I tried a Windows NT/XP password boot disk, but it didn't work (checksum didn't validate.... corrupt files).

The only partition on the HDD is the C drive. No others.... which really sucks...

_jameshales

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
If the pc is trying to login to the domain, I don't think you'll be able to turn it on because you're not connected to the domain. Your problem is that you cannot login to the local computer. So all you did was make a new workgroup and join the pc to the new workgroup? Now you cannot login locally? Is there an "options" button on the login screen?

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

_jameshales

_jameshales

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah, there's an options button, but it only displays the little language bar thing, and nothing more.

_jameshales