Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLEASE READ! help windows installation-i havent solved the pro

• Please log in to reply

the70sin2005

the70sin2005

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
heres the proble i just bought a new western digital 120 GB HARD DRIVE and i am trying to install windows xp but when it is done copying the files to the hard drive it says that the device driver got stuck in an infinite loop and it is making me mad i am going to install MS-DOS and then try please help me!! :tazz:

Edited by the70sin2005, 13 October 2005 - 11:38 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi the70sin2005! Welcome to G2G!

There should of been a CD (or floppy disk) that came with your WD hard drive when you purchased it. Use it to help set up your hard drive correctly before trying to install windows on it. To use it put the CD/floppy in, reboot your computer and when it says 'press any key to boot from cd,' press a key and then just read along with what it says. If you have any questions about what it's saying then please reply back in here.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 13 October 2005 - 06:52 AM.

the70sin2005

the70sin2005

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
ok yeah i tried that cd when i first installed the hard drive which was lik 2 days ago and it went to the part where it asks me if i want to run the cd or copy it to a bootable floppy disk or two other things dont remeber but i chose to run from the disk and it will go to a grey screen and be stuck like that so i dont know what to do ?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to this link follow what it says to download and run the Data Lifeguard Tools 11 for DOS.

Fenor

the70sin2005

the70sin2005

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
ok ill try that but if that dont work then i dont know what to do

the70sin2005

the70sin2005

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
i tried and did not do anything but i dont know much about ms-dos

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I suggest that you return the hard drive to where you bought it from and get a replacement, because it sounds like it's faulty.

Fenor