Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help please my system won`t even go past POST

• Please log in to reply

Epo

Epo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I start my newly bought PC, after asembling it I get the error message when try ing to start it 3 shot beeps and the POST error display shows 8.7 and the manual tells me that means NET PC: Build SYSID Structure. That did not make me any smarter.
Also as a side but problaby as important as any thing else my Mother board have two poer conectors one that is 20/4 (24 pins) and the 4 pin for the CPU. Is the using the 20/4 (24pin) power conector the same as using the only the first 20 pins of the power conector and the 4 pin conector for the CPU. Or should I put power through both the 4 pin CPU and conector and the 20/4 (24pin) conector the manual is extremely wauge on that.

My system is in plain basic:
PSU 580W Hiper
Abit AL8 - V (945P intel chipset)
Pentium D 830
1 Gig DRR2-6400
Geforce 7800GT
Sound Blaster Audigity 2
Western Digital Caviar 250GB SATA2

I hope you guys can help.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Epo! Welcome to G2G!

You definitely need to use both the 24pin and the 4pin if your motherboard has spots for them to plug it.

And it sounds like your power supply is meant to work in both AMD and Pentium 4 motherboards so having 4 pins 'left over' on the 24pin plug is normal. My board is the same way.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 13 October 2005 - 06:38 AM.

Epo

Epo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Fenor for welcoming me.
I did evetualy figure that out myself earlier i just can't understand why i didn't se this on monday when i got this problem in the rist place, I guess that 4 pin left over part did confuse me more than it should.

Anyway it is al working now... well atleast unitl i get some thermal paste to lower the teparature a good 20C or so.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Best thermal paste out right now is Artic Silver. Used it on my machine, along with the purchase of a Volcano 12 (really doesn't sound like a volcano :tazz: ) heatsink/fan combo and it lowered my computer 22C :)

Fenor