Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How can i get a high speed usb host ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,
am still relativly new to computing, although after a year, and this forums help, i am now a lot more knowledgable. However,,,,, istill cant get my head around a few things, namely usb host controllers etc.
First noticed a problem when i bought an external hard drive for back up of my huge music files. When i copied the files to the external drive, i got a message telling me that , i quote, " a high speed device is connected to a low speed port " then it goes on to say " please enable a high speed host controller ".
Now i figure that if my comouter only supports usb 1.1, then it will just run at 12mbts /sec, whereas a usb 2 would speed things up to 480 /sec. i have bought extra pci usb ports (USB 2 ), and more recently a Belkin usb 2 hub, as i now have an mp3 player and digital camera and need the extra ports. But ,, i still get the same message everytime i connect any of these devices.
Could some one enlighten me a bit more. ??????
Can you actually upgrade the host controller in your pc, to enable the high speed devices to work at high speed ?????? or are we talking about a new motherboard ???
Any advice would be much appreciated.
cheers, kev.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well, a usb 1.1 and usb 2.0 host are completely different....so...if you plug anything usb 2 into a usb 1 port..you'll get that message...even if it's a usb 2 hub...you can get a usb 2 pci card that would giveyou usb 2 support for your faster devices like the camera and your drive...and then use the usb 1 ports for devices that don't matter..

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
I have already got a pci card, that is supposed to be usb 2, and came with a driver cd. but even plugged into this slot, the message still comes up that no high speed host controller can be found.???

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
hmmm....interesting....i'm not sure..but there might be a setting in bios for it...

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
it does seem strange doesnt it. the pci card has 4 usb 2 slots, and 1 firewire, and as i said earlier, the drivers on cd.
So in effect, what you are saying is,,,even a computer that is only equipped with usb 1.1 support , will be able to support usb 2, and transfer at high speed, if you have (like me) a paci card installed ????
Is that right ???
cheers.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
right...because that's what the card is for...to interpret the usb traffic and get it to the CPU (which is what a pci bus is for)

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
I have, on a number of occassions re-installed the drivers to see if it made a difference, but no joy at all !!!
You mentioned venturing into the bios ????
many thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
yeah..there may be something in the bios to turn on usb2 support....

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
If you can give me any advice, on where to look in the bios, and what to when i find what i am looking for it would be great. dont like territory that i am unsure of. Mind you, i am reformatting tonight, and reinstalling a new copy of xp pro, so i dont suppose any balls up would be permenant.
thanks once again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well...if you mess something up in bios...you can just reset it to the defaults...and...if you want...just go through and look at everything....look for anything mentioning usb or something that looks right....and exit without saving changes then ask in here

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Will do. many thanks for all your help.
cheers, kev.