Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Pc freezing up

• Please log in to reply

scottb

scottb

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hi

wondering if anyone can help me out, Pc keeps freezing up when it starts, it loads up until windows music plays when this happens the music is distorted and then the pc freezes, tryed to access recovery consol through xp disk to run recovery console but this loads to the windows setup screen then freezes as well, also tryed to access pc in safe mode but this will not load either. Can anyone help me!!!
Could it be a hardware problem or is it infected ? :tazz:

Thanks

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Have you tried loading windows to "Last Known Good Configuration"? It's in the list with Safe Mode. Try that, and If you get in, don't turn it off. Let me know what happens.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

scottb

scottb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
hello,

already tried that loads up but still freezes, i did manage to get it up and running for about 5 mins then it crashed, last known good configuration now pointing to this time, not getting the option to choose a restore point. i'm away to try to put diffrent hdd into the machine with win 98 on it to see if it boots from this, then i'll know the problem will be with the other hdd this runs win xp ??

if any other tips or advice would be grateful :tazz:

thanks

scottb

scottb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hello again,

got it running in safe mode, tryed to do system restore but date was at 2065 would not let me change it, changed date in control panel then logged into system restore again and date had changed to what i set it in control panel, but did not show any restore point, put other hdd in no joy, changed ide cable still no joy, put the original hdd & ide back in & everything worked fine !!!!! ran virus scanner no infection detected, ran disk checker everything fine, had all ready checked cables were fully home on hdd before swapping them.
got me ;) but it seems to be working fine now ??

do you have any thoughts,

thanks for the advice :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Go to control panel, administrative tools, event log, and double click system. Check through the log for errors around boot time. Let me know what they say.

scottb

scottb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hello again,

don't know if this is what you are looking for, done this over the phone as my friend who's pc it is, is away to spain for a week today, if it's not then will check it myself when he gets back.

Error Message was

DCOM got error this service can not be started in safe mode, attempting to start this service event system with arguements in order to run the service

(then a string of what appears to be Hex No as follows)

1be1f766-5536-11d1-b726-00c04fb926af

He tells me that all the system events he checked was pointing to the same thing

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Try booting from the XP setup disk and press <enter> to install windows. Next press F8 to agree to the eula and the next step you can press "R" to do a "Repair" install. This will reinstall windows, and all you will have to replace are the windows updates and service packs. All data will still be ok. Don't get this confused with pressing "R" at the first screen for the "Recovery Console". Here's a link to the instructions.

http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=138

scottb

scottb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, did as you said and gave it a couple of days runing to check if any problems occured, nothing so far looks like everything working properly now.

thanks 4 the help :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Nice work :tazz: Glad to hear everything's ok now. You know where we are. :thumbsup:

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)