Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Urgent: How to read CRC of the single hdd sector?

• Please log in to reply

burek

burek

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,
I need to read the CRC value of the desired sector on hard disk. I DON'T need just to detect was there any mistake reading that sector, I just need to read the CRC value of the selected sector without reading the entire sector and calculating the CRC value by myself, ok?

Thank you all who help me with this, a lot!
burek.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I will refer you to your hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics program for this. Go to http://forums.pcper....isplay.php?f=40
There is a sticky post at the top of the forum that has links to most hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics.

burek

burek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I will refer you to your hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics program for this. Go to http://forums.pcper....isplay.php?f=40
There is a sticky post at the top of the forum that has links to most hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics.

I forgot to say I can't use any software for this, but I must write a code that will implement that :)
So, I need some function that can read the additional data about the desired sector (such as Sync bytes, gaps, servo bytes, ecc, etc)

Thanx :tazz:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
humm, seems like a homework assignment for a student in computer programming. This is a hardware forum.