Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Best Image Editing Software

• Please log in to reply

The G

The G

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Right first off i enjoy makeing wallpapers and such and well what i want to know is what is the best software out there to do this, i want it to be able to crop perfect and mix and blend backgrounds and stuff you will know what i mean if you make wallpapers yourself. so whats the best out there whats the most simple to use and such, now i've heard alot of people talk about CS photoshop is this good

Anyhelp will be great :tazz:

Advertisements

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
photoshop is brilliant

also paint shop pro if you're on a budget

and try out the freeware utility the gimp http://www.gimp.org/

its for linux mainly but theres a windows version that's pretty nice.

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Cheers dude i think i will give Gimp a try out.

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Took me about 5 mins to figure where i needed to go and get for windows but i know have the page i need

http://gimp-win.sour...net/stable.html

I will download this when i get back later

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the gimp is great..and free...does a lot of nifty stuff...plus the script-fu utility is quite handy....

if you wanna go for the goods...shell out the 700 bucks for photoshop..its phenomenal....but...for wallpapers...the gimp should do everything you need it to do

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

I agree that the GIMP is a great option, but I also wanted to let you know about another freeware image editing program that I have found very useful. It is for windows only and is called "Paint.NET" and you can check it out at:

http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/

I have found it be slightly more intuitive to use than the GIMP and definitely work checking out.

Cheers,
Tom

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...paint.net is good stuff

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Oh my i was just about to download GIMP then i checked here now which one do i download first hmmmm.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i say both
they are both free....and both have a few little things that are different

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Right o well since GIMP was said first i will go with that for the first test. also do you know what the little differences are. oh and thx for the help so far guys.

But to be honest as you said they both have differences i think i will have both why not there free :tazz:

Edited by The G, 13 October 2005 - 12:23 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..one thing that i really love about the gimp...as i mentioned earlier...is it's little script-fu utility...you can script operations almost the same as you can in photoshop to automate stuff...like making buttons or special text...and stuff like that....i haven't used it as much as photoshop...but...that's just cuz photoshop is fun...

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Me again just about to get Paint.NET. is there a quick way to check if i have .NET Framework 1.1 i am pretty sure i do as i have only had the comp about 9 months.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can go to windows update...if you don't have it it will update it

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Ahh well i had an automatic update done last nite, so i will have it then, cheers.

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Right i have tried both out very good might i add but i think GIMP is better for me as i have found a very good tutorial site for it. Also i quick question at the beginning it says it will use 128MB by default now it says that this is how much RAM it will use when running now the thing is i use quite a few HQ images and my RAM on my PC is only 256MB so would it be ok to use or will it take to much RAM up. Its not an old PC or anything only 9 month old its just i did not think i would need that much RAM.

Edited by The G, 13 October 2005 - 02:28 PM.