Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error with random restarts

• Please log in to reply

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
The power supply you have is of good quality but its just bad, it can happen with any psu.
I recommend a Antec, enermax,Ulta X connect of 450w or better.

Also look at the amps on the 12v rail you want something with at least 24amp

Rick

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. This is absolutely the best source of info on power supplies that I have found:
http://www.hardforum...isplay.php?f=93
Check out the sticky posts at the top of the fourm. You want a quality psu and this info can help you decide which one to get.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi drewby.

In one of your posts I saw the line:

ATX 12v 11.38v *this voltages ranges from 10v to 11.5v

The part which I colored blue: Is it something that you see in your bios? I have never seen that before. What is the meaning of this line? Does it show minimum and maximum voltage over time? If not, what is it?

Since you started this thread I suspected a bad psu, but now I am not so sure. In a previous post I suggested repair reinstallation of XP and all system and peripherial drivers. I still think that even if you consider installing another OS it is worthwhile trying what I suggested just to eliminate the possibility of software problem. I certainly would have done this before spending money on a new psu just to discover latter that the problem wasn't there.

Another point: malware was never mentioned in this thread. I assume that you checked your system thoroughly. As far as I am concerned it is almost always a first, automatic, procedure in repairing a computer. If you didn't do that, please do.

drewby

drewby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay i did order another PSU: Ultra X-Connect 500W ATX PS w/2 80mm Fans - Titanium, I have currently taken out my 480w Thermaltake psu which has specs 12v 24A and inserted a coolermaster 350w specs 12v 17A. I have have no restarts and the current flow is @ 11.78v, Seems to have fixed the problem. NOT happy with TT not sure if an rma is worth it either.

Y.a when i said "ATX 12v 11.38v *this voltages ranges from 10v to 11.5v" the avgerage read i had was 11.38v at that time. the voltage jumped arround as my bios has senses real time. This ranged from 10v to 11.5v.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yep when looking at them voltages I knew the psu was at fault. You just can't have voltages that low on the 12v and if they are not steady thats even worse

The coolmaster 350w will be ok for now but you will be much better with the ultra x connect.

Rick

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Good luck. glad that the problem is solved.