Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ethernet problem

• Please log in to reply

FeelingMinnesota

FeelingMinnesota

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
IBM Thinkpad T20
Windows 2000

My laptop has an ethernet port (oversized phone plug) on the back. I just got dsl and when connecting the router to my computer with the ethernet cable I get no response. Looking in the computers settings and I see no mention of ethernet.
I can connect with the usb cable no problem but we need that to connect the pc.

do I need a driver for the ethernet? If so, what driver do I need. I found a site with many many and don't know where to begin.

Any help would be wonderful. I'm computarded.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did the laptop come with the ethernet card? or did you install it later?

right click on my computer > manage >device manager and look for any y ellow ?

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hi FeelingMinnesota!
First off, could you post the output of ipconfig /all here, the we'll get started. Here is the easiest way to do it:

1) Start --> Run --> type cmd
2) cd c:\ then hit Enter
3) Type: ipconfig /all > ipconfig.txt This will create a file called "ipconfig.txt" with the information that we need
4) Open Explorer, navigate to C; and double click the inconfig.txt file. This should open in notepad
5) Cut and paste the contents of that file here.

ttysoon, SD

FeelingMinnesota

FeelingMinnesota

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
the laptop has an ethernet (I don't know if that's what it's really called) port permanantly installed. It's not in card form nor can I take it out.

Here's the ipconfig

Windows 2000 IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BlackBookOfDoom
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Speedstream Ethernet USB Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-23-BB-44-16 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.88.184 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is your router configured for dhcp?

FeelingMinnesota

FeelingMinnesota

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
please describe dhcp. I don't have much knowlage in computer hardware but I learn quick.

FeelingMinnesota

FeelingMinnesota

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
and I know it's a problem with my computer. I tried to hook up a wireless antana thing at my job a couple months back and once again got no response.
if anyone can help a helpless soul out... karma points and all.
I figure if the jack is on the computer then there must be a way to make it work.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....DHCP is Dynamic Host Control Protocol...and it basically assigns your computer an IP address out of a pool of available IP addresses....

due to your IP config results..it seems that y ou do not currently have an ip.....this is probably because dhcp is not turned on on the router...

as a test...right click on my network places > properties > right click your local area connection > properties > tcp/ip (it's in the little window in the screen that pops up) > properties > click the radio button next to use this ip address.

now put in 192.168.1.3 for the ip and 255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask and 192.168.1.1 for the gateway...leave the dns stuff blank for now.. (if those dont work try .0.3 for the ip and .0.1 for the gateway)

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I see the Speedstream USB adapter, but not the onboard. Is this fella possibly disabled in the BIOS of the laptop?

DHCP -> Dynamic Host Control Protocol...basically it automagically assigns the required information to a computer or device that requests it (IP addy, DNS, Gateway, etc.) This is *usually* on by default on routers.

ttysoon, SD

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i didn't even notice that pops.....geeezzzeee probably the format of the post..

yeah..you're gonna wanna make sure that onboard network or ethernet (or however its referenced) is enabled

FeelingMinnesota

FeelingMinnesota

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok. could you please give me step by step directions on changing the BIOS?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
restart your computer...and press del key during post ( i usually press it once a second after the machine physically starts to trun on and get moving)...this will bring up your bios configuration utility...look for something called onboard devices..or integrated devices....or...something to that effect....look for anything that references the ethernet device or network device...