Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Smitfraud - explorer.exe consistently stopping and starting

• Please log in to reply

Wayneh

Wayneh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone, another person infected with Smitfraud.

However, this situation has a twist. My CEO gave me his home computer to clear of viruses, and quickly identified it as having Smitfraud on. The wininet.dll had already been deleted, so I replaced this via DOS to re-gain login access.

But...

Once I was able to log in, the real fun began. As soon as I login, explorer loads up. But then it stops, and restarts. Loads up, stops, restarts. A never ending loop.

I've searched for hours on the net on how to overcome this explorer issue. Accessing explorer via the Task Manager doesn't work, as something on the computer seems to respond to explorer being loaded up in the first place. I've got none of the software relevant to uninstalling Smitfraud on this machine, due to the explorer issue.

And my CEO has explicitly stated that he doesn't want the machine formatted, even though I'm not sure if that will clear it...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :tazz:

Advertisements

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
Hi Wayneh

Are you talking about Internet Explorer (iexplore.exe) or Windows Explorer (explorer.exe)?

Did you try safe mode? Try booting up in safe mode by tapping the F8 key just before Windows starts to load and see if same is happening in safe mode..try both with and without networking..