Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thinking of replacing my processor

• Please log in to reply

Firebird00500

Firebird00500

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm thinking about replacing my AMD Athlon XP 1800+ with something better, such as an Intel Pentium 4 or an AMD Athlon 64 processor. Will I have to re-buy all of my cards? (For example, I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and a Creative Soundblaster Audigy. Will I have to replace those?) Do I have to buy a new computer case, do I have to replace my hard drive, and so on? Please help!

EDIT: Also, which should I buy, an Intel Pentium 4 or an AMD product? I want a better gaming computer than my current 1.3 Ghz Athlon XP 1800+. Which would you recommend?

Edited by Firebird00500, 13 October 2005 - 11:27 AM.

Advertisements

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
you can keep your graphics card and sound card, etc. keep your hard drive. just need a motherboard that supports the new processor.

personally I like P4's but people have said that AMD performs better for gaming and things.

Firebird00500

Firebird00500

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
But which is TRULY better for games? Does anyone have any personal experience?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I know all about these chips.

If you want just a gaming ONLY machine then buy an amd like a amd 64 chip.

Cons about Amd single cpu's- they suck at multi-tasking but are great at games only.

If you are more into multi-tasking on a single chip processor then go with an intel pentium 4.
Intel pentium 4 chips are really good for games it just depends what chip you buy.

Cons about intel- Dont get a celeron they really suck for games.

So, intel pentium 4 = good the celeron chips = bad

If you have more money and want a dual core cpu then go with the amd X2 processors and you will get the best of both worlds.

lol

Firebird00500

Firebird00500

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
My current motherboard (KT-880 Delta or some such) will not allow me to upgrade my processor very far. I can only upgrade to a Duron 2600, which is apparently about 1.7 Ghz. I'm looking for something that's 2.5+ GHz, which means I'll have to replace my motherboard, which is "ATX" sized. Apparently that means that a LOT of motherboards can be bought that are the same size. Which motherboard should I get? I'm trying to optimize my computer for 3D Gaming.

Please reply if you need more information.