Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Ghost hangs in DOS

• Please log in to reply

deopressoliber

deopressoliber

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I installed Norton Ghost 2003 version on my WIN XP computer to backup one data hard drive to another blank one. Norton asked permission to restart. Okay.

Now it won't go beyond DOS in reboot. It hangs there, allegedly giving me the option to restart as 1. Norton Ghost or 2. Windows. But it actually will start neither, if selected. I have changed the boot order in the BIOS to try to restart from the Norton CD - no luck. I can get it as far as command line confirmation, but all command lines appear to refer to Ghost, and nothing goes beyond that. I can get to C\: prompt, though.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
did you get the ghost to dupe the drive and then reboot?

deopressoliber

deopressoliber

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for replying. I fixed it. Norton had changed the labels of my hard drives by relabeling them when it partitioned. I found this out when I started the Win XP re-install out of desperation - it offered up the labels about halfway. I deleted the partition, cancelled reinstall, and was good to go on restart.

I will throw away the Ghost CD.