Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What processor?

• Please log in to reply

Garnuba

Garnuba

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am deciding on parts for my new gaming computer and i was wondering what processor would be better i want a 64-bit amd no question about that but should i go with and fx55/57 or an X2 4200-4800. Which one will give me the best performance while running a game like wow and AoE3 with other programs in the background.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I would go for the amd dual core X2 when it comes down to multi-tasking on amd chips.

Single cpu's from amd does not do that well on multi-tasking.

The X2's are amazing and will run multiple applications with no problems, overall you are better off with an amd X2 dual core processor since you are wanting to run multiple programs at the same time.

If you wanted to just play games ONLY then go with the Fx chip.

Garnuba

Garnuba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok thanks but i mean like run a game that will consume some serious resources and run like winamp for music in the back ground, vent or ts, AND maybe an internet browser for info. My 2 main concerns are to run the game with out the slightest proplem and use vent/ts. It sure does sound like multiple applications but i want to make sure my game gets the most attention. so please further go into detail about that thank you again

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
amd 64 bit fx chip would be fine

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would say the x2 as they are still in themeselves fast chips on each core, and they overclock very well. In the future games are going to use two cores fully probably nexy year will see some real attempts at this,

Edited by warriorscot, 14 October 2005 - 01:26 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
the amd fx chip would be fine but yes if you got the money to get the dual core amd x2 you will be glad you got it now and in the future.