Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

MS Outlook Contacts Problem

• Please log in to reply

steve1953

steve1953

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I recently got a new Notebook and decided to copy my Outlook.pst file from my PC to the notebook.

The Inbox operates fine on my Notebook, but I can't seem to get my Address Book to bring up Contacts.

When I try to access "Tools - Address Book" I get a message that "The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder associated with this address list could not be opened" Etc.,

Anyone gotten around this ??

Steve.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
how did you transfer the files?

steve1953

steve1953

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

I just copied the the files - "Outlook.pst" and "extend.dat" from - "Documents and Settings\My Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" to a USB 2.0 Jet Flash Stick in my USB Port.

Then plugged the Jet Flash into my USB 2.0 port in the Notebook.

Then created a new folder on my (Notebook) C: drive called "Old Outlook"

Then copied from my Jet Flash, and pasted it to the - "Documents and Settings\My Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" directory.

When Windows Explorer asked if I wanted to replace the existing files with the new files, I clicked "Yes".

Then I rebooted the Notebook.

Then I opened Outlook.

The Inbox was all in order with all my subdirectories, and all my emails.

But when I tried to copy the Contacts, I got the message that I previously stated.

Thanks for the fast response, and interest.

Steve.

steve1953

steve1953

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi dsenette,

What do you think I did wrong ?

Steve.

Boostman

Boostman

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Have you tried following the Microsoft page on this?

Contact backup in Outlook