Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinRar

• Please log in to reply

kayona

kayona

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi, i hope this is the right forum. I share items with a friend in an email program called gmail. She is from the uk and most of them she sends me are something called winrar. When i download them and then try to open them, there is nothing there, it says no preview. If she sends the item in jpeg its gigantic when i open it. I tried right clicking on it to resize and nothing happens. tried saving them to my documents, pictures, just about everywhere but after i download and save them and go to open them, there is nothing there. when they come in a winrar file, usually it tells me after downloading that windows doesnt recognize the program. She says its just a windows default program. Is there any way for me to download and see these items? Is there any way to resize the jpeg ones from the gmail? I'm lost as usual. Thanks, Kayona if the item is send jpeg and is really small, maybe 50 jpeg or less i can read it and print it.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
winrar is not a windows default program....what's the file extension on these files that she sends you?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

She says its just a windows default program.

This is true in a sense. Windows XP uses a copy of winrar to open .jar files and other archived software but the copy is not accessible to the user, you need to get a copy of winrar from the publisher of the software to open the files.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
http://www.rarlab.com/

winrar compresses better than winzip. this is why some people prefer it.
30 day trial.. but supposedly if you ignore the registration message afterwards you can still use it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...i think after the trial...there are certain functions that stop working....but it will still unrar everything

kayona

kayona

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi, i did get it to unzip a few files, its the first time ever, i did download the free version for 30 days but have only had it for a little while. When someone sends me something through gmail.........is there anyway to resize it? I can click on the items that are jpeg and view them sometimes and when i go to print them, i click print preview and i only get 1/2 the picture. have tried doing it in landscape etc, no luck. Its huge. I've tried saving it to resize and cant, right clicking and cant.....tried downloading something i was told about here to resize, started in "inf" cant remember the rest, anyway, i couldnt get it to work......not sure what to do, people receiving the same items arent having any problems..........i fee like a dunce...........Thanks for the help and thanks in advance, kayona

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
what type of image file is it?

kayona

kayona

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
We are attempting to design stitching charts so the items we send are on a grid backgroud with symbols.... there are four of us and the others can open things just fine and print them. The point is to make each of these items to see what others think about the chances of the charts being good for sale etc. When i get them i cant print them out because of the size, i only get the left 1/2 of the charts, unless the item is very small maybe 50 jpeg or so. thanks, kayona

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what image editing software do you use?

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello everyone,

I highly, highly recommend the free open-source compression program 7-zip. It opens all major compression formats (including rar files!) and can create zip files and it's own superior 7z file compression. I have used it for the last few years and have not looked back! Check it out at:

http://www.7-zip.org/

Cheers,
Tom

http://www.rarlab.com/

winrar compresses better than winzip. this is why some people prefer it.
30 day trial.. but supposedly if you ignore the registration message afterwards you can still use it.