Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

format hard drive in new PC

• Please log in to reply

shackymousa

shackymousa

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello all,
The help I got from your site previously has bought me back for help with my new issue. My brother is donating his PC to me and I finally get to lay this old girl I presently have to rest....she's old and tired and has served me well!
My "new" pc has Win XP as its O.S. but I am quite attached to my Win 98. So I would like to format my new PC and get rid of EVERYTHING loaded on it. Then I would like to load my WIN 98 onto it as well as all my other files that I have stored on this old girl.
I'm not sure what info you will need to help me accomplish this. I use my pc for personal use only i.e. email, surfing the net and documents etc. I have a basic understanding of the hardware and although I have formatted this drive a number of times the steps involved are no longer in my memory!
How do I format the new pc? How do I transfer all the files I wish to save from this pc onto my new pc? Can I run 2 hard drives on 1 system? I'm sure there are may questions but I'm not sure what they are yet??????
Thanks in advance of any help you may give!!!

shackymousa
:tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

First off, you need to know whether the drive with XP on it, is formatted using NTFS or FAT32. Also you need to know the size of the drive.
If the drive is formatted with FAT32 & is smaller than 64GB, then you can use a win98 boot disk to format the drive with.

You can install 2 hard drives in a computer without a problem. This is also the best way of transferring data from one drive to the other. (Alternatively, just leave the second drive in permanently so you can access the data that way without having to move it)

shackymousa

shackymousa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks Samm!

The hard drive in the new pc is formatted with NTFS and is way smaller than 64GB.
Since it isn't formatted with FAT32, what do you suggest?
Any further details will follow if you require them!

Thanks a bunch....shackymousa

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If the XP drive has only a single partition on it, then you should still be able to use a win98 boot disk to remove it.
Boot from the boot disk, then at the A:> prompt type :
fdisk
When asked about large drive support & NTFS, reply Y to both questions.
In the main menu of fdisk, select option 3 to delete a partition, then select option 4 to delete a non-dos partition. Select partition number 1 to delete & follow the instructions on screen.

Reboot the system from the boot disk again, run fdisk again, then select option 1 to create a partition.
Follow the instructions on screen & reboot when told to.

This time when the system has rebooted, at the A:> prompt type :
format c:/s
This will format the drive using FAT32. From there you can install windows 98

shackymousa

shackymousa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
:tazz:

Wow, you are prompt!
Thanks again. Will print this off and give it a go on Saturday and post a reply with the results....

shackymousa