Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help with Internet Service Provider!

• Please log in to reply

BigDawg40

BigDawg40

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, so a few weeks ago I received a letter from Time Warner about SPAM emails being sent from our connection. I was told to shore up my computer with a firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spyware software. I had anti-virus (McAfee Enterprise V 8.0) and anti-spyware (Ad-Aware 6.0) already. I downloaded the EZ Firewall from Time Warner's website. I was told that if more complaints were given, our account would be suspended.

Well, I have all of the protection, and I do scans once every other week and never have anything come across. Today, I received a second letter from Time Warner saying that our account was being suspended because of continued SPAMing. I have had enough with TW and I want to switch, but sadly I cannot due to TW having the only conneciton in my apt. complex. I have to send in this contract in to get my service re-instated. If we continue to get complaints, we will be suspended at least two weeks mandatory.

Basically, my problem is this:
We do have two computers. Mine, and my roommates. I cannot find anything on my computer that would lead to this problem, but his is riddled with stuff and is so crippled he has little to no function on the Internet anymore. I believe it's his computer that is being hijacked. However, he hasn't got on the Internet in a while and usually his connection is on his X-Box. So, it looks like my computer may be the culprit. However, how do I make sure it's not without having to have it re-formatted (which is what TW suggested I do)? I can't do the hijack log until my service is re-issued. Any suggestions from anyone? Anyone have this experience before? Should my roommate just not hook up ever to the Internet? Thanks for reading and any help!

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey BigDawg40, Welcome to G2G

Some of the things you may want to consider:

What email software are you using>? (This is critically important if you are using smtp server software or mailers)

DEFINITELY post a HJT log in the malware forum ASAP.
What make/model router are you using? Check to see if there is a firmware/software update.

If you are using a LINKSYS WRT54G, click Here!

Update your firewall, router, antivirus and antispyware software frequently.

As a last resort you may want to consider reimaging (startin' from scratch) BOTH computers

Edited by brianmil0923, 14 October 2005 - 11:00 AM.

BigDawg40

BigDawg40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
brianmil0923,
Thank you for the reply. The only email I check is my school webmail (webmail.osu.edu).

As soon as I get access, I plan on doing a HJT llog.

The router we use is a hard-wire router. We do not have any wireless connections.

My roommate is going to leave his computer (which is riddled with spyware and who knows what else) when we get re-connected. I have a feeling this problem will cease when that happens.

Thank you for the advice.

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
When you do the HJT logs, make sure you do your room mate's!! Especially, if you KNOW he has malware!!

:tazz: