Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help With Fdisk

• Please log in to reply

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
i had a computer with windows xp, but a system file got messed up so it won't even boot in safe mode anymore. i was wondering how can i create a fdisk so that i can delete the ntfs partition and create a fat partition to install windows 95 off an old win 95 disk of mine. can you please help me?

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Click Here to find low-level formatting tools. Select the download that matches the mfg of your hard drive.

1. Boot pc with low level format disk in drive
2. run low level format tool for your hard drive
3. when low level format is done shut down system
4. put in windows 95 boot disk boot system always pick to start with cd rom support
5. At a:/fdisk then hit enter on keyboard
6. when fdisk is done reboot pc
7.At a:/format c hit enter on keyboard
8. shut down pc after format is down ( your hard drive will be fat32 now)
9.restart pc make sure to start with cdrom support look to see what drive letter your cdrom is.
10. At a:/drive letter hit enter on keyboard
11.At that drive letter:/ setup hit enter on keyboard
Windows 95 should be installing
any problems repost thank you
<_<

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
i don't know exactly what kind of drive it is, download page. I'll I know that is a Maxtor Ultra ATA/100 5400 RPM hard drive. So, which download would I got to?

I'm also going to get my Windows 95 boot disk from Bootdisk.com.

Also, I don't have two formatted floppy disks, where can I get them?

Edited by nathanhuth, 08 November 2003 - 12:14 AM.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
This is the low level format tool you want click here

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Here's another option if you want to repair your WindowsXP installation.

This repair method gives a fresh installation of Windows system files, while leaving all your Windows settings, programs and data intact. It's a very nice feature of Windows XP! You will need to run Windows Update and install all the patches and updates when completed.

As always, you should backup your important data before continuing.

1. To start this WindowsXP repair. First check that the first boot device in your system BIOS is set to the CD-ROM Drive.

If you are unsure, or don't want to enter the BIOS, then just test the computer by putting the CD-ROM in the drive and reboot your computer. If you see "Press any key to boot from CD....." then you don't need to alter your BIOS.

To find out how to access the BIOS please refer to your motherboard manual or the manufacturer of your computer. (The system bios can usually be entered on boot, usually by pressing the F1, F2, F8, F10 or DEL key. Make sure you save the settings before exiting.)

2. Insert your Windows XP CD and reboot you computer. A message "Press any key to boot from CD....." will appear, press the space bar to continue.

3. Setup will now inspect your computer hardware and configuration.

4. "To setup WindowsXP now press enter" will appear, press your Enter key. (Don't select "Repair WindowsXP using Recovery Console option, this just provides a DOS style command screen.)

5. Presss F8 to accept the license agreement

6. Now select the operating system you wish to repair, in most occasions there is only one, then just press "R" to continue.

7. Windows will guide you through the rest of the installation (repair) procedure.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
admin,
I cannot do what you said because I do not have the Windows XP CD. Also, How do I know what version of Windows 95 is on my Windows 95 disc so I know which boot disk to download.

Edited by nathanhuth, 08 November 2003 - 11:51 AM.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
you can use any one of them your just using the fdisk and format not going to matter at this point but after you do get windows installed make sure you make a boot disk for the system your running windows 95 on. please post to let use know if you all set or need more help
<_<

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
The cable the connects the floppy to the motherboard got destroyed and saving this hard drive in useless. If I get a new hard drive, how can I install Windows 95 from the CD?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You still need a boot disk, but you can make a bootable CD ROM using Nero or other burning software.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
I have Roxio, how can I make a bootable CD-ROM? What does a boot disk do?

Edited by nathanhuth, 08 November 2003 - 10:09 PM.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
I think this is what you are looking to make a boot disk if this is the software you have easy cd creator by roxio make a cd boot disk if your cable to your floppy is no good you should replace it with a new one.
<_<

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Did you go to the link in earlier post that I put in that tells you how to make bootable cd rom disk?

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
that link said you had to have a floppy drive to make a bootable cd-rom. confusing but that's how it works.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Found it in my bookmarks... check out this site http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/