Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Installing XP on Clean Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have bought a new hard drive, and basically all parts to a new PC. The hard drive is blank, and I made a windows disk to use. When I try and boot the PC from the windows disk, everytime it goes into "Caldera dr dos". I know some stuff about the FDISk command, I have an 80 GB Western digital by the way. How do I install Windows XP corp Ed on this hard drive. Is the disk I made, made wrong and that is the reason it takes me to caldera dr dos all the time? Thank you, I've been trying everything the past few weeks and nothing seems to work, I donno much about PCs but I'm sure y'all know. Thank you :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have an XP installation disc with the license for the corporate edition then you should boot the PC with the disc in, or boot the PC, keep tapping delete to enter set up, make sure it is set to boot from CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 if you change anything, insert the installation CD then type Y then press enter

It will reboot, look for press any key to load from CD, follow the instructions and make sure when it gets to format the drive, it is using C for the new partition