Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless and broadband connection question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

brearc

brearc

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
bought a laptop many months ago and a wireless router that then when i bought it all connected to my dsl modem and everything has worked fine

recently i find like while downloading in limewire or whatever...my internet cuts and IE goes into that work offline choice thing and a Sympatico connection sign in thing pops up...

i dont understand this

not sure what else info i need to give, but anyone got a clue? :tazz:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It might well be that the router's decided it can't hold the current broadband connection optimally so has dropped it and started a new one. Routers do that on occasion if they decide its going to be better to initiate a new connection than try to retrain an existing one.

But having said that, with Limewire having been mentioned, some ISPs, in the light of recent events revolving around P2P networks, have decided to throttle or terminate connections that are using this technology.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
what Neil Jones said with limewire and ISP is crap they don't know if you are using limewire unless you upload. the problem could be you messed with the lease time in the router settings. go to the router setup page and set lease time to forever or something similar.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

what Neil Jones said with limewire and ISP is crap they don't know if you are using limewire unless you upload. the problem could be you messed with the lease time in the router settings. go to the router setup page and set lease time to forever or something similar.

Unless I'm mistaken, Limewire uses certain ports to transfer stuff through.
Now as most ISPs are required by law in their individual countries/states to retain details of what their userbase is doing through their connections (in case the details are needed by the police), it wouldn't be too difficult to throttle various types of traffic at the ISP's end. As an example, throttling or blocking port 80 would affect internet access, blocking ports 110 and 25 affect email, while port 21 affects FTP.

As for lease times - these are only for a computer connection to the router and Windows will automatically renew it silently. I'd be very surprised if the ADSL connection drops just because the lease time ran out; mere co-incidence I would have thought.

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

It is very easy for your ISP to block or throttle back limewire or any other P2P application. You may want to check this LINK. :tazz: (LimeWire uses ports 6346 and 6347 Neil :) )

As far as the IP address lease expiring. That would have nothing to do with the situation described here. When the lease expires, DHCP requests a new IP address seamlessly so you would not be affected.
Also please note the following points:

1) forever is not an option :woot: (you may be able to set your PRIVATE LAN IP lease to unlimited; however, If the WAN IP lease expires, this is set by your ISP and you have no control over it.

2) It would not be affected by running an application

Edited by brianmil0923, 16 October 2005 - 10:41 PM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
This topic is being closed. We do not offer any type of support with problems associated with P2P applications, nor do we allow discussion of them on these forums.

Thank you for your cooperation.