Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Colors Gone Wild

• Please log in to reply

reynolds0889

reynolds0889

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I screwed something up!

I wanted to make my screen cover more space so that more stuff can fit onto the same amount of space. I assumed that the way to do it was by going into the Desktop properties menu, clicking on the Settings tab, and pulling up more screen area. I believe I went from 800 by 600 to 1024 by 768 pixels, but I really can't be sure anymore. I didn't write it down first. Maybe I started at 1024 by 768 and tried to up it to 1280 by 1024... either way i've moved it back to 800 by 600.

When I made the initial move, the computer asked me if I wanted to restart and I said yes. When it came back up, the colors were all screwy. I changed it to 800 by 600 and restarted again, but the colors are still messed up. I figured before I did any more damage I would contact you guys since you seem to know what you're doing and I obviously do not.

Can you help me? I want to get my colors back to normal, and I would still like to cover more area on my screen if possible so that I don't have to scroll side to side and up and down just to see a picture that I am able to see on the computers at school

Sorry about the mess. I'm a little embarassed. :tazz:

I don't know exactly what kind of info you need, but I am operating Windows ME. There are 19 BG, 10.6 of those are still free. Let me know if there is anything more specific I should be looking for and I'll be happy to abide.

Thanks.

David

Edited by reynolds0889, 13 October 2005 - 09:57 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi reynolds0889...Welcome to G2G!

Let's check a few settings...

Right click the desktop and choose Properties then click "Settings". Check to see that the "Colors" setting is set to High Color (16 bit) and the "Screen Area" setting is 1024 X 768.

Click on the "Advanced" button and check the box next to "Apply the new color settings without restarting" (at the bottom). "Apply" the settings and click "Yes" to accept the change if you like it...then click "Ok" to exit.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 13 October 2005 - 10:10 PM.

reynolds0889

reynolds0889

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I like your rules and Murphy's law. Good stuff.

I did what you said and have 2 things to report: 1. 1024 x 768 is apparently the size it was before I started messing with things. and 2. the colors are still screwy.

There is a good quote by Douglas Adams that fits my situation: "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

David

reynolds0889

reynolds0889

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Scratch that. I don't think 1024x768 was the original size. Some things seem smaller now... but I really can't be sure. Can I go any smaller? I mean once we get the colors back to normal, or should I just leave well enough alone?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
reynolds0889...

1024x768 is a good all around resolution...any higher and things start to get hard to read.

See if the 256 color setting is available in the color settings box...if it is, try that.

You might also try a system restore to a time before you "adjusted" your settings. Click Start and point to Programs then to Accessories then to System Tools and choose System Restore. Check the "Restore my computer to and earlier time" check box (usually set by default) and click "Next"...choose a date to restore to and follow the prompts.

Once the system has restored, you can try adjusting the settings again, choosing the 1024 X 768 screen resolution and 16 bit color settings (32 bit if available)

wannabe1

reynolds0889

reynolds0889

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yes! (He says in a Napoleon sort of way.)

I went to change it to 256, and found that for some reason it was already that way. On a whim I decided to try True Color (24 bit) and the color came back. Then I also noticed that it was back on 800x600 so I moved it back over to 1024x768 even though that's kind of what got me in trouble the first time... I figured I could jsut hit cancel if I didn't like the result... anyway it all worked out. Now the color is as I like it and the size is where I want it.

I have no idea what happened or why, but your advice got me looking and ultimatly fixed it. Thank you so much!

David