Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with Norton Antivirus 2005

• Please log in to reply

Bigshow18

Bigshow18

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I recently downloaded the trial version of Norton Antivirus 2005, and installed it without any problems.

However after i rebooted and i tried to open it to start a scan, the outline of the program will come up, but the inside of it will remain white.

i've tried leaving it for up to 30mins and it stays the same, also the Auto-Protect appears to be operating normally.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello

The best way to stop that happening is uninstall Norton and never install it again. I would advise that you install AVG AntiVirus it is better than Norton Anti Virus, Free, and dose not slow you computer up like Norton dose. There is a link to in in my Signature along with a lot of other good links.

Bigshow18

Bigshow18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks mate, will do.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
personally I like norton. but it does take a certain amount of resources to maintain. I may be misguided but somehow I don't trust free antivirus.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I trust Free AntiVirus Programs because they do a good job (well the ones listed on this site) and don't trust, Norton, Trend Micro Pc-cillion, and Mcafee because of the problems they cause and the resources they take up and some unexplained things about them.

aboogger

aboogger

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Took your advise and got rid of Norton 2005....and put Avg on instead, at least on one of my computers for now to see if I really like it....
While I'm here I keep getting this popup of Norton Blocking and deleting this virus....Trojan.Stwoyle...I've ran a complete scan and I don't have any viruses...so why does this window keep coming up....the only program I have open is my Thunderbird Email....and when I have it closed and nothing else opened, the blasted alert keeps coming up and sent to quarantine...I'll get as many as 40 a day..Does anyone know why this keeps happening....
Here's an image of the alert I get...
Any suggestions other than getting rid of Norton 2005 would be greatly appreciated....

Attached Thumbnails

• virus_alert.jpg

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

aboogger

aboogger

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the suggestion...I'll go do it now....