Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer freezes when CD inserted

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I have Windows XP Home Edition,SP2, and IE6, SP2. My comuter will frequently freeze when I am trying to copy from Explorer to CD-RW. Also, I get error messages on AOL when I try to run a keyword. It says to try again, but there is not an error number. I have tried everything that AOL has suggested, but has not worked. I have uninstalled AOL three times--the Security Edition--as I was getting numerous errors, besides the preceding one. I installed the AOL Optimized SE, and now the only error message I get is the one above. I tried again to install the Security Edition with an AOL CD, and the computer would freeze.

I use chkdsk and defrag on a regular basis. Also have Ad-Aware, Avast, Microsoft Antispyware, McAffee, Registry Mechanic, Spybot, and Spyware Doctor. I use them every day and keep them updated. Ad-Aware and Spyware Doctor are the only two that usually ever find any junk. McAffee did find a Trojan about a month ago, and I disabled all Restores, put in my Dell Windows disk and somewhere found a repair on there. It helped some, but the CD drive still acts funky at times. Dell has replaced it two times. This is a rather new computer - just six months old.

When I am online, my keyboard and my mouse have a "funny" feeling. I read somewhere that if a person feels changes in the keyboard and mouse, that there could be a virus. What with all the spyware I use, I do not see how. I have all of my Windows updates.

My Hot Mail, too, acts quirkky sometimes. When I put something into the trash and then go back to the Inbox, the items I put into the trash are still in the inbox, and I have to always refresh the page. I have tried it on another computer (the Hot Mail) and it does not do that.

Any ideas about the drive problem?

A side question as did not know where to go to post it. I have tried several times to post a picture - using Image Shack, and I get a message to the effect that the URl is wrong. When I try to upload from my pictures folder, I get a message something about it was not accepted and to contct the Administrator (I think).