Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen Area Stuck

• Please log in to reply

vicious

vicious

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I'm in a little trouble. I changed the screen area size in the display properties toolbar in XP. I changed it all the way to the right. Then after i clicked OK the monitor just went to idle and the it says "Frequency Over Range". So i tried plugging another monitor in but was once again unsuccessful. Please help me find out how to get it back to normal.
Thanks

Advertisements

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Welcome vicious :D!

Your problem has an easy fix. You will need to reboot your system in safe mode. When you restart, at the first screen you see, press F8. Then choose safe mode. You will then be able to log into windows. Once there, go back to the display properties and change the frequency range to a safe number. For 15" monitor, the max is 1024x768, for 17", the resolution max is 1280x1024. Then restart and the new screen resolutions will be applied <_<!

For some reason if that doesn't work, go back into safe mode and do a system restore to before you changed your screen resolution. Windows will automatically set it's screen resolution to it's previous value. Just restart in normal mode and the system will be back to normal :D!