Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

128 or 256mb?

• Please log in to reply

Purgatory

Purgatory

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I have a question regarding video cards. I want to upgrade my PC cause I got a pre order of FEAR for my birthday and I wanted to take some time to update my pc so I'll be able to play it.

Now the games requirements are quite high, I hope I'll be able to run it after upgrading my ram and video card.

It asks for a 256mb video card, I currently have a nVidia GeForce FX5200, and I was told that 128 is better than 256, and checking some sites for Canada, 256 cards are considerably cheaper than a 128mb card.

So I want to know, what are the pros and cons and differences regarding performance in 256 and 128mb video cards.

I have 768mbs of ram
a P4 2.8Ghz processor
FX5200 128mb geforce

I also need to upgrade my ram, so I would also like to ask whats the best ram that will fit this motherboard;

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 06/27/2005-SiS-661GX-6A7I4E1AC-00
Motherboard Name AOpen s661GXm-U

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 533 MHz
Bandwidth 4267 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 167 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 333 MHz
Bandwidth 2667 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type SiS MuTIOL
Bus Width 16-bit

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 478
Expansion Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP
RAM Slots 2 DDR DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Video, LAN
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 220 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset SiS661GX[/s]

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name AOpen Inc.
Product Information http://english.aopen....tw/products/mb
BIOS Download http://download.aopen.com.tw/downloads

Thanks for the info when its provided =)

Also, I'm open to suggestions in improving my system, mainly powerful enough to play F.E.A.R. hopefully flawlessly

Edited by Purgatory, 13 October 2005 - 11:29 PM.

Advertisements

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
http://www.crucial.c...GXm-U&submit=Go

The above link recommends memory

As far as the video card I would try the card you have installed currently...A lot of these new games requirements are so you can enjoy all the extra detail that's been programmed in....Realistic shadows...etc..
I personally find these extra features absolutely unneccessary to enjoy the game....Doom 3 had similiar requirements and I played it on a TI4200 W 128Meg Ram and all went well (except I didn't like the game).