Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help me with my computer

• Please log in to reply

Tubop

Tubop

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My PC is so messed up. It's got spyware and viruses. I clean them out every day with norton and adaware. Heres the problem. I want to reformat my pc. I put the windows cd in and restart but for some reason the boot screen doesnt show "Press any key to boot from windows" doesn't show. Will someone help me please! :tazz:

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello and Welcome to Geeks To Go

Since you have malware you should read This and then post in the Malware Forum. They will remove all the malware you have and help you set up you computer so you don't get as much in the future.

not_napster

not_napster

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

My PC is so messed up. It's got spyware and viruses. I clean them out every day with norton and adaware. Heres the problem. I want to reformat my pc. I put the windows cd in and restart but for some reason the boot screen doesnt show "Press any key to boot from windows" doesn't show. Will someone help me please! :tazz:

One of you option is to do as Michael Buckley recomends. But answering you question on how to format. You'll need to set up your bios to boot from cd.

You'll need to get into the bios setup screen. When you restart your computer, keep hitting F8 (now this key might be different on your computer), you could try F2 or F1 or DEL on each restart. You should do this as soon as you restart the computer.

Once you are in the bios setup screen, there will probably be a tab called as "Boot", you can't use your mouse on this screen, you'll have to navigate using arrow keys. Goto that option and hit Enter/Return. Now you'll see boot options like First, Second, Third

The first one will most probably be set to your hard disk, go that option (again by using arrow keys) and hit the spacebar (read instructions on how to move - on the right side of the screen) to change this option and select CD-Rom as the First boot option. F10 is to save changes & exit.

Now your computer should restart and boot from CD-ROM.

Let us know if you succeed or still have difficulties.

Thanks

not_napster

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I don't think that Formatting will help to much, he said that he get infected all the time, if so after a format he will get infected all the time. Therefore Tubop I what you to go to the Malware Forum so you get cleaned of malware and have the protection put in place with he help of a malware expert so that you don't get infected as much in the future.

not_napster

not_napster

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Very true. I didn't forsee that :tazz: . No wonder you are staff :)

Tubop

Tubop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok the boot screen works now I can boot from cd. One more problem. After i hit enter I get to a blue screen where it tells me to press enter to get to the windows installation part. I hit enter but nothing happends. I was using my dell windows xp home edition cd to do this. So I used windows xp pro cd to boot from cd and the blue screen came up and I hit enter and then I was able to reformat my pc. Any reasons why I couldnt use my dell windows xp home edition cd? Can I fix this problem? :tazz: