Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How much RAM does XP SP2 need?

• Please log in to reply

cheeky wombat

cheeky wombat

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just got a new laptop, an Acer Aspire 5000 that came with XP SP2 installed and it's so slow I can't stand it. Especially surfing the net. I've written another post here with a HijackThis log, but since it's a new computer I really don't think it's malware.

I disabled Windows Firewall and installed ZoneAlarm. My internet access is fast with my old laptop which is still running XP SP1. My partner noticed that after installing SP2 her computer started having all kinds of speed related problems. Even scrolling was so slow it looked more like page down with major lag... so slow you could see the text blurring across the screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions for speeding up my internet access?

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello and Welcome to Geeks To Go

Please read This it sould make you computer a lot faster.

jasqid

jasqid

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I wouldnt run XP on a machine with less than 512MB ram. I suggest minimum 512, recommend 1GB if you can afford it. My Dell Inspiron 6000 I just got came with 256MB and it cost me less than $100 to put 1GB in it.

Runs MUCH better!! :tazz: