Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Great Suggestion

• Please log in to reply

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Hi there,

OK so I have seen that people try to get their post count up to be trusted more and had suggested to remove the post count but was better idea to keep post count :)

Ok here it is a REPUTATION count :

When you post something good people give you some good reputation points which are green and show that you are trustworthy.
If you post something bad or useless people bad rep point you which are red and not so good.

So it would show quality and not quantity :tazz:

Advertisements

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Interesting idea cleverboy :tazz:

This is similar to how other sites work, such as Experts Exchange. I suppose its a bit like the Ebay feedback system. Let's see what everyone else thinks.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I dont know why you are so obsessed with post counts, but this "feature" you talk about would be a management nightmare. I would rather the mods and admins here spent their time helping people, not watching for users who are abusing the system by ranking their friends and sabotaging others on the forum.

ScHwErV :tazz:

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
I saw this 'reputation count or so' in another site! But it was a gaming site with money count as well!

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Its on a lot of sites usually to see how helpful a member is and how much they contribute. :tazz:

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
As ScHwErV said, this type of feature would increase the admin/management of the forums quite a bit. The mods already monitor who is posting replies to queries and if that person is giving incorrect advice, then the mods will take care of it thru the correct channels.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
It would be kind of pointless, because every helper here would have an excellent reputation! :tazz:

People are very appreciative of the help they receive here. As stated above, I think we all have better uses of our time.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea and when you think about it to check if a member is actually giving good reputable posts all you have to do is click on there name> profile options>find members posts, to see if they are just trying to up thier post count or really helping out

Antartic-Boy

Antartic-Boy

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,120 posts
Thank Doby, I didn't know that.. Very helpful :tazz:

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Hey This is a new feature isnt it :tazz:

Advertisements

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
It isn't a new feature. There has always been a function to search all posts by this member

You can just see yourself if their not helping.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yep I love that feature it helps to sort out the knuckleheads from the people who truely need help and also who is helping out.

I could very easily pad my post count but most of mine are long and drawnout because I try and explain things/proceedures and what to expect from them and this takes time.

But thats just me and the way I work.

Rick

TheBrotherhood313

TheBrotherhood313

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Well the Find Members Posts feature wasent added until IPB v2.0.x i dont believe.
Anyway, there is no Reputation mod made for IPB v2.1 yet. There is one for v2.0.x that could be upgraded, but its kind of buggy. I dont suggest it anyway, its fine the way it is i think :tazz:

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic [Total Number of Posts]
Date 27th Oct-2005

Is there any [Incentives] to Pad Totals? – I spend a lot of time Studying/Analyzing the Problem & Preparing my posts – That Quantity is not an Option – I try to provide [Quality Info] – so the Poster can understand the problem –

I probably track/subscribe to more [Post Problems] than I Post/answer -

It is nice to fix a problem – But it is Super Nice – Whenever the [Originator] Fixes it –

Biggest Tool that I utilize in Self Measuring my [Posting Quality] is > [Number of Viewers] < That are attracted – And the PMs Received

This Forum has – Good Posting Tools – and its best Qualities are – [Continual Improvement] & [Follow Up]

Jack123

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Is there any [Incentives] to Pad Totals? – I spend a lot of time Studying/Analyzing the Problem & Preparing my posts – That Quantity is not an Option – I try to provide [Quality Info] – so the Poster can understand the problem

No I don't think there is and there shouldn't be, I agree Quality should be our number 1 concern