Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overheating or?

• Please log in to reply

aerialz

aerialz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok.. i got a new PC, this is the 1st week of it, then a few hours ago, my pc shuttd down and when i tried to turn it on rigt away it didnt start, then i unplugged everything and checked the lines so after that i tried again and it went on then turned off again. 10Mins later i tried and it worked fine, on the boot up it said thermal problem then i managed to use my computer again up until now. Any tips? power supply problem or heat problem?
Could it be possible my board shuts down my system automatically coz of overheating?
Win XP
p4 3.0GHZ
Intel board
Geforce 4 6600 LE pci
p5 dynamo 500watts psu dual fan

please help im kinda confused what to do

btw, i was playing Cs source when the first ever shut down happened.

Last question for now, when my computer shuts down and it's caused by overheat if ever.. will it damage my computer?

ok guys my voltages are
+12 12
+5 5.1
+3.3 3.352
+cpu core 1.341
cpu i/o 1.471

temps are:
system zone 1 is stable at 40c
system zone 2 is also stable at 39 - 40c
processor zone temp is 46 - 50c

the thing i observed was that when i turn on my voltage regulator with my Cpu plugged in it the computer starts automatically also
guys please help..

Edited by aerialz, 14 October 2005 - 06:33 AM.

Advertisements

aerialz

aerialz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
guys please help.. bumping.. thjanks

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
If the BIOS shuts it down due to overheating then it shouldn't damage the hardware, it's doing it to prevent that after all, might corrupt some files though.

As to the auto restart, there's probably a BIOS setting that auto powers-up on power restore, this is a very bad idea. It should be set to stay off on power restore due to the fact that if it was caused by a mains supply failure (storm damage say), there might be a few spikes when power returns.

It might also be worth trying a different PSU if you happen to have a spare lying around.

Lastly, there is no need to bump your topic after only 2 hours, not everyone will be in your time zone, and those that are may well decide that they have insufficient experience to offer good advice (do no harm option). It is not unreasonable to expect to wait 2 days for a reply, more if it's an exotic issue.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you shouldn't be having a thermal problem...those temps are fine...make sure your cpu fan is plugged into the right socket...some motherboards will shut down if it's not