Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DrWatson is killing me

• Please log in to reply

BjornErik

BjornErik

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:

Hi there.

First of all let me tell you my computing skills are way below average. So when a problem occurs, I'm pretty much f....d This time it's a problem with playing videos with the windows media player. Every time i try it, the drwatson debugger message pops up with the options to send an error report. After that the whole thing freezes.

Please help me with this

Bjorn

Advertisements

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
if dr watson kills your comp to the point where you can do nothing at all, it might be good to disable it. its not too much fun if you don't know anything about computers though, since it involves editing the registry.

try this:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;188296

I think its stupid of them to make a debugger that basically freezes everything up so you can't solve the actual problem anyway. but then again, this is microsoft we're talking about. :tazz:

BjornErik

BjornErik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:

Thanks for your reply. Just one thing. Isn't that [bleep] nasty debugger there for a reason. Is it safe to disable the whole thing. As you know I don't really have a clue. just asking.

cheers

Bjorn

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
its safe. I do it all the time. that article only tells you how to disable it, doesn't actually remove dr watson. you can replace it later if you export the reg key and save it somewhere.

but ideally you should figure out how to actually solve your problem. do you know what format the video files are in? does it freeze up when you play any kind of video or just certain files?

I think its a windows media player problem. try using another media player to play your videos. if that works, then get windows media player to update itself.