Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot restart in Normal Mode after getting rid of Malware

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should start a new one so the Hijack This is current

Advertisements

KyloRilee

KyloRilee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I will post a new Hijack This log this evening.

In the mean time, the computer seems to be much slower since getting back up and working. I will try to do a disk cleanup, and defrag to see if that helps.

Is there anything else I can do for this?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run Online Scans to make sure it does not get anything else

Panda Scan

House Call

Trend Micro Spyware Scan

Kaspersky Online Scan

KyloRilee

KyloRilee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I ran the TrendMicro Housecall scan. It found 2 spywares and 1 trojan.

That scan took 3 and a half hours (all evening practically) I'll try to do the other ones tonight.

Since the computer is running noticably slower since doing the XP repair, is there something else it could be from? Or should I continue just scanning for viruses?

KyloRilee

KyloRilee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I ran the TrendMicro Housecall scan. It found 2 spywares and 1 trojan.

That scan took 3 and a half hours (all evening practically) I'll try to do the other ones tonight.

Since the computer is running noticably slower since doing the XP repair, is there something else it could be from? Or should I continue just scanning for viruses?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When they look at the HJT Log they can spot if anything should not be there

KyloRilee

KyloRilee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I don't get the Panda Scan one. I've done it once before, but all it did was show me what I had (like 12 or so spyware) but didn't tell me how to remove them? Did I miss something?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The Panda Scan should remove them, their spyware scanner doesn't

KyloRilee

KyloRilee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Is there an easy way to tell what kind of RAM is compatible with your computer?

I was also thinking of adding more RAM to the computer. Once before, my parents bought RAM through BestBuy.com, but they had a form where you entered your computer model number, and it told you what kind of RAM they had that was compatible with your computer. But they only tell you if it's something Best Buy carries. I tried that with this computer, but it said "We do not carry any RAM compatible with this model" or something like that.

So how can I tell what kind of RAM is compatible with my computer?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
KyloRilee...

Download Everest Home Edition, install it, and run it. When the scan completes, expand (click +) the Motherboard catagory in the left pane and click on the Motherboard icon in the right pane. Your computer's memory specifications should be the third entry down in the resulting list.

wannabe1

Advertisements

KyloRilee

KyloRilee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Is there anything else I can do to help speed up my computer, besides getting more RAM?

Thanks for all of your help, and for getting my computer up & running again! You're the BEST!!

I really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Kyle

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi KyloRilee...

You can run Disk Cleanup and then Disk Defragmenter from System Tools...those will help some. You might also look at a few of the tweaks available HERE...the ones listed in red are for performance.

wannabe1