Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor problems

• Please log in to reply

Docjock7728

Docjock7728

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The problem that I am having is that I am switching out an 18" monitor with a smaller monitor. When I do this the monitor comes on but when Windows 98Se loads the screen is garbled (lines running throught the screen and hard to make out any of the information). What I did is plug back in the 18" monitor and reduced the windows size and also removed the monitor from the device manager. However, the problem still occurs when I plug the smaller monitor back in. What is going on and what can I do to fix this problem?

Advertisements

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Welcome Docjock7728 <_<!

Your smaller monitor can not handle the higher screen resolution that your larger monitor is using. Just reduce the screen resolution before switching to the smaller monitor. For 15" monitor the max resolution is 1024x768, for a 17" monitor the max resolution is 1280x1024.
To change your screen resolution:

1. Right-click on your desktop

2. Go to "Properties"

3. Then choose the "Settings" tab

You will see a slider to the left, just move the slider to a resonable level for your smaller monitor. For a 15" monitor the max resolution is 1024x768, for a 17" monitor the max resolution is 1280x1024.