Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to disable Nortons

• Please log in to reply

Linda Thomas

Linda Thomas

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have eMachine w3400 and Nortons and McAFee were installed for 3 months. Been using Nortons and am unhappy with it... I do not want to remove it as a friend tried to and messed up his computer bad! Is there any way to disable it, so I can try McAFee? It is Nortons 2005.. I have xp2

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi Linda and welcome.

I will let somebody else explain about disabling you AV - as I don't use either.

However, it is not a good idea to have both running at the same time as they very often conflict.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I think you should remove it. I don't know why so many people have trouble uninstalling norton. I've used it for years and its always uninstalled for me. just find the folder in C:\program files afterwards and delete that too, since the uninstaller doesn't remove that. There are programs out there that'll help you if norton proves to be stubborn.

having both is indeed a very bad idea

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Linda Thomas...Welcome to G2G!

Removing Norton applications can be messy when not done correctly, but is not really difficult to do.

Download SymNRT, but don't use it yet.

Using the "Add or Remove Programs" feature in "Control Panel", remove "Norton 2005" first, then "Live Update", then "Live Reg"...restarting your machine after each removal. After removing all three of these applications. Navigate to the "Program Files" folder (My Computer > Local Disk C: > Program Files) and delete the "Symantec" folder.

Now, just to be sure, run the SymNRT application you downloaded earlier and restart your machine. This should remove the last traces of Norton from the machine.

wannnabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 14 October 2005 - 11:35 AM.