Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Secure Digital Reader for Dell Inspiron 6000

• Please log in to reply

SINK

SINK

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I just got my new Inspiron 6000 2 days ago and i can't figure out how to get
it to read my SD card from my pentax digital camera.

Dell have provided no documentation for it and google turned up a blank.

It is not appearing in "My Computer" and it dosn't seem to work with the
bundled "Dell Picture Studio". Yet it appears in device manager and is
reported to be working proprerly.

Can anyone please tell me how to use it, or show me where to find it out.
Please and thanks.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic- Secure Digital Reader for Dell Inspiron 6000
Date- 14th Oct-2005
Poster-Sink

Hi – Sounds like a Driver Problem – Or a BIOS Problem – Do you know what [Service Pack] – is installed on PC – Also did the SD Reader come installed or did you install -

Did you insert the SD Card into Drive/Reader – PnP cannot find empty Reader -

1st - Here are a couple of Dell Links that addresses this problem – Try them out –

http://search.dell.c...um=False&qmp=10

http://support.dell....=us&cs=19&s=dhs

2nd – Download the Free Home Edition of [EVEREST] – and follow the steps below to obtain (4) Reports of your system - http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en - Insert the SD Card & then Run Everest -

Report-1: [Sink-CPU-1]

1 – Expand [COMPUTER] Folder
2 – Click on [COMPUTER] Folder
3 – On Main Menu – Click on [REPORT] >On pop down menu – Highlight [Quick Report-Summary] >Click on [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [Sink-CPU-1] & attach to POST

Report –2: [Sink-Mobo-1]

1 – Expand [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
2 – Click on [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT] >[Quick Report-Motherboard] > [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [Sink-Mobo-1] & attach to POST

Report –3 : Sink-Devices-1]

1 – Expand [DEVICES] Folder
2 – Click on [DEVICES] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT]>[Quick Report-Devices]> [HTML]
4 – Save as File [Sink-Devices-1] & attach to Post

Report – 4: Sink-Storage-1

1- Expand [Storage] Folder
2- Click on [Storage] Folder
3- Click [REPORT] > [QUICK Report – Storage] > [HTML]
4- Save as File [Sink-Storage-1] & attach to Post

Attach the 4 Reports to [Return Post] - I will review & try to define problem area –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 14 October 2005 - 04:30 PM.

SINK

SINK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Here you go. I tried the dell and microsoft support sites already without success.

They told me to go to Computer Managment/Disk Managment and assign the SD drive a letter. However it was not listed.

Thanks for giving it a look.

Attached Files

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic- Secure Digital Reader for Dell Inspiron 6000 (#2)
Date- 15th Oct-2005
Poster-Sink

Browsed thru the [EVEREST] Reports – And looks like the SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller is installed along with the Driver for the Generic volume Storage Device – I was not very successful in locating any specifications on this Onboard Card Reader from Dell –

So here are some of my ideas of – Why PC did not recognize the SD Card – One or a combination of the following –

1- Are you sure that the [Memory Card] is a [Secure Digital] and not a [MMC] – Multi Media Card – They almost look the same – but in the Dell Multimedia Reader – They are not compatible - Ricoh R5C841 controller are SD-Card compatible only. MMC is not a compatible card type. SD has 9 pins & MMC has 7 pins – Your camera may be SD & MMC compatible – BUT NOT THE READER –

2- Laptops have an [ACPI] - (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) application that is – A power management specification developed by Intel, Toshiba and Microsoft that makes hardware status information available to the operating system. ACPI enables a PC to turn its peripherals on and off for improved power management especially in portables. This may be preventing the SD Card from being recognized by the PC - You may have to temporarily [Disable] ACPI in the [Power Management] Section in the BIOS setting – This is usually the case for WebCams – Not sure about a [Digital Drive] – They do not consume much power –

3- PnP may have to be [ENABLED] in the [PnP / PCI Configurations] Section in the BIOS –

4- Another item may be a [Firewall] – If you have a [Firewall] running – You may have to temporarily [Disable] it – Until Drive is recognized for the 1st time – Usually this does not prevent the Card from being recognized – It may take a long – long time to read the Data – If enabled –

See if any of this helps – I have another approach to try – but try this for now –

Jack123

SINK

SINK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I got it working eventually. I found out that the card even though it was an SD and not MMC card, was not compatable with the drive. I have a freind who works in a camera shop and he was kind enough to swap it with one of his spares.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Here's some advice for anyone with any of the new generation Inspirons. Pretec SD cards are not compatable for some strange reason, I am now using SanDisk and it works fine.