Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

too much goin on

• Please log in to reply

tuscan440

tuscan440

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
right here goes, basically my os is on a slippery slope downhill, im quite computer litterate and have had my comp running fine, free of spyware and viruses after regualar and varied virus/spyware scans etc. minimse all my running processes (start up programs) so i can play games to their best potential.
basically it started about a month ago my computer started crashin during battlefield 2, which i had been playin faultlessly since its release, other games such as call of duty,united offensive and command and conquer generals all seem to crash back to the desktop within 20mins of gamin, tho only ones that dont crash are half life 2 and worms armagedon so im thinkin its not a graphics card problem.now let me give u the lowdown of what ive done so far:
#i have downloaded all the latest drivers, catalysts etc for cards and chipsets alike, all windows xp updated
#have checked all fans are working, and processor temp, which is fine(even opened up side and stuck massive fan next to it but still crashed)
#recently installed xp pro over my xp home in an attempt to restore any corrupt windows files, only to be met with blue screen of death but eventually managed to get it installed properly
#have ran a 6 hour memtest and that was fine
#have scanned my registry with cc cleaner

since then the games still crash as normal, any windows applications dont recognise that i have a cd writer even tho itunes will happily burn a cd (imapi cd-COM burning service is set to automatic and on too). occasionally windows media will crash. my computer never shuts down fully ever, u can hear things stop workin but it will stay on the blue 'windows is shutting down' screen and bascially im pissed off, asked loads of people and no joy!!. hope u can help.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you checked the voltages on your power supply? Like the +12v, +5v, -5v, etc..? Download Motherboard Monitor and install it, then open up the DASHBOARD and check what the levels of each of these voltages is.

Fenor

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
is there any reason this hud have changed? i havent changed my system in a while, or added anything new.well downloading it now
by the way lookin at the error log as have done many times before, everyhting seems to be a constant error and caused by the service control manager, each error is a different service starting or stopping. and there are hundreds of entries per day, perhaps that helps

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
One thing I would check, is while you are shutting down your computer and it's just sitting there doing nothing on the blue windows shutting down screen, take a look at your CD-ROM drive(s) and see if a light is constantly on.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 14 October 2005 - 12:15 PM.

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
no there isnt a light on at all, none of them flash even once during shutdown
(my floppy,dvd and cd-rw drive that is)

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
ok done the mobo montior and the voltages +3.3v (3.39v), +5v(4.95v),+12v(11.92v),-12v(-12.45),-5v(-5.22)
dont know what that means but guess you can tell me.
the core 0 1.68v and core 1 is 1.68v
the case is 41 degrees c, cpu diode 58 degrees c

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
so is this normal or do i have to look elsewhere for a problem???

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
58 C for CPU temp at idle is VERY HIGH. I recommened you get a new heatsink/fan combo and some good artic silver thermal paste to lower the temp a little bit.

Fenor

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
ok i'll do that but is the voltage and all that stuff normal???

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes those are fine.

Fenor

Advertisements

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
ok just played battlefield 2 and the recorded high of the cpu diode was 67c. im guessing this iss to high,. the socket temp chnaged by about 2c so is just a heatsink and fan ineed then?
ps thanks for your help

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes I would suggest you just get a good heatsink/fan combo. I myself purchased an Extreme Volcano 12 and some artic silver and it worked like a charm. Lowered temp from mid 60's to the mid 40's. And don't worry, it doesn't actually sound like a volcano as the name suggests. :tazz:

Fenor

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You mentioned that you opened the side cover and put up a massive, external fan. Try that again, cool both cpu and video card and see what temp you get in the cpu and if the crashing continues.

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
yeah tried it and i can get it to drop by about 5c if i position it right, but it still crashes. im not ruling out other issues for why it keeps crashing but it seems suspect that it is 25c hotter than amd recommend at idle. will post back once i have applied new arctic paste stuff and a new coolin pad.

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
a ha!!! did it replaced the compund with arctic 5 and cleaned all the dust away good and proper, realised didnt actually have a frontal fan anyways so fitted one of thos and now it works at about 10-12c cooler about 50 at idle and means i can play games withouth them crashing. obviously the rest are software related issues. still think this is kinda hot anything else i can do to cool it?? thinkin maybe modding my case and fitting a side fan.
thanks for your help fenor and y.a