Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downgrading?

• Please log in to reply

jack-moran

jack-moran

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hi,
i was recently given an onld computer running a microsoft 98 operating system and i chose to use my windows xp cd i have to upgrade it. it works but is very very slow as the computer has only 64mb of ram and 530mhz processor. i have a windows 98 installation cd but no startup disk, would you recomend me trying to reinstall windows 98 if so would you be able to give me instructions or what upgrades would you recomend.

thanks jack. :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Jack...

i chose to use my windows xp cd i have to upgrade it. it works but is very very slow as the computer has only 64mb of ram

First, Windows XP can only be legally installed on one machine per installation cd and second, 64 MB of RAM is just barely enough to run XP. If the XP you installed is an upgrade version, you should be able to uninstall it using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. If you are unable to do that, you can obtain a Windows 98SE bootdisk (Startup) HERE. Download it, double click on the file, and put a floppy disk in the floppy drive when prompted...this will create a startup disk you can use to format and reinstall Windows 98.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 14 October 2005 - 01:17 PM.

jack-moran

jack-moran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks alot, ill let you know how i get on. :tazz:
thanks again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure, Jack...keep me "posted" :tazz:

wannabe1

jack-moran

jack-moran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
hi again, i have just tried to do it, but i am completely lost, is there anywhere i can get a step by step guide, and btw is that bootdisk the whole version of windows 98 or will i have to use the cd aswell. Also do i put the disk in when the computer is starting or do i start xp and format the hard drive then start the pc with the disk in. thanks :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello again...

First, let's try to uninstall XP.

Click Start and choose Control Panel in the right pane of the start up menu. Locate and double click on the icon for Add or Remove Programs to open it. Scroll down until you find Windows XP, select it (left click) and click on the Add/Remove button. Follow the prompts and restart your machine if prompted.

If this is successful, you will be left with Windows 98 on your machine.

Post back with your results...

wannabe1

jack-moran

jack-moran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
it wasnt an upgrade cd i used i used the proper windows xp disc and i copied it over the already windows disk with a new xp windows