Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox/windows auto updates don't work

• Please log in to reply

ts1

ts1

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi,

I've managed to do the latest windows update from IE but the auto installer didn't work.

Firefox updates: It recognises the update then goes to download it but thats as far as it gets (the download window appears but no progress is ever seen).

Yahoo IM: I can't accept a file transfer from another YM user. I don't see the "Do you wish to accept this" message (my IM is set to confirm).

I'm wondering if all my issues are linked? I use ZoneAlarm but that isn't logging any rejects as I'm trying all of these things. Everything else is fine. Also, I've updated/run AVG, Adaware and Spybot with no problems.

Please can someone help?

Advertisements

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Hi ts1.

Check your security settings in FireFox and IE - they may be a bit tight.

FKG

ts1

ts1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks Freddie.

My settings on IE are tight but it happily let me download the windows updates. Java is disabled on IE but has been for a long time.

My Firefox settings are less tight (java is enabled for example) and I can download from it.

Also, all of this started together (YM, IE downloads and Firefox problems), I noticed that they all stopped working within a few days. Maybe its just bad luck :tazz: the problems might not be connected.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you make any changes to zone alarm around the time that the issue started?

edit: also, was one of these updates for windows an update from sp1 to sp2 in xp?

Edited by dsenette, 14 October 2005 - 03:17 PM.

ts1

ts1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

did you make any changes to zone alarm around the time that the issue started?
edit: also, was one of these updates for windows an update from sp1 to sp2 in xp?

Zone Alarm may have been updated around the time. The version I have has been updated recently. My difficulty here is that I don't use all the things that have stopped working, on a daily basis so I can't say for sure.

SP1 to SP2, I've been on SP2 for a long time. I'm sure thats not it.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Shut Zone Alarm down and see it it then works. You can do this by right clicking it's icon in the system tray and chose to close it. If you still can't do what you wan't at least we know it is not Zone Alarm.

ts1

ts1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi,

I shut down ZoneAlam (as you said). The I tried to update firefox.

I clicked on the arrow at the top of the Firefox window. It found the update.... but when I try and go ahead with the download it just seems to hang. It shows no progress (its almost as if it can't connect).

Hope that helps :tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Lets see if it is corrupt files.

Start < Run type sfc /scannow this will give a blue bar when it goes reboot. It will need the Windows XP CD so have that in your computer before you type it. This will fix all corrupt files.

ts1

ts1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi,

I did as you asked, it ran straight away (I have done a reboot).

A progress bar came up, it took some time to run. The progress bar reached the end and it finished. It didn't say anything.

Just so you know exactly whats going on, my PC has a hidden drive that holds XP install files. So I don't have an XP disk. I guess it ran from the hidden drive.

Thanks for your time :tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Sounds like a normal run of sfc /scannow to me. Is your problem fixed?

Advertisements

ts1

ts1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I've just tried a firefox update and theres no change. Its still hanging :tazz:(

It hangs on "Now downloading and installing updates...". The progress bar stays blank.

I think my PC hates me but I do appreciate your help :)

wade_man_uk

wade_man_uk

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

I've just tried a firefox update and theres no change. Its still hanging :tazz:(

It hangs on "Now downloading and installing updates...". The progress bar stays blank.

I think my PC hates me but I do appreciate your help :)

You dont use a wireless router by any chance?

ts1

ts1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Nope, I don't have a wireless router.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I do have a wireless router and very bad signal, and the update work fine.

Ts1 what version of FireFox do you have? I remember on one earlier version that I did have trouble with the updater.

Are the other update problems still there, the Windows Update and the yahoo IM file transfers?

ts1

ts1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi Micheal.

The Firefox version I have is:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050717 (No IDN) Firefox/1.0.6

I can't check the windows update (I like to be up to date with those so I downloaded the latest from the website). I'll check Yahoo out this evening (I'm in the UK).