Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox/windows auto updates don't work

• Please log in to reply

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I still can't think why you can't update, what AntiVirus, AntiSpyware and Firewall do you have installed.

You could uninstall a Windows update to test if it is working. You can do so in the add remove programs if you tick the box up the top that says "show updates".

Hope this helps.

Advertisements

ts1

ts1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi,

I'm using AVG, Adaware and Spybot. Also, Zone Alarm.

I did uninstall a Windows update (and changed the update time). My PC is setup to tell me when there are new updates to install (I then click the icon in the task bar and agree to it). This does usually happen, but its not. I'm wondering if it only checks it once a day? The Microsoft website tells me I need a critical patch.

Is there a way of forcing the auto update check (without downloading it manually from Microsoft)?

I'll check Yahoo later.

:tazz:

Casey37

Casey37

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
If you're comfortable doing it you might try uninstalling ZoneAlarm completely... I had an issue running ZA where I could send but not receive email, disabled ZA, same issue, uninstalled the program and *snap* everything was working again...

Seen that many times talking to folks too on all brands of firewalls and anti-virus with incorporated firewalls (thanks to rampant internet worms).

So, if that fixes it I'd recommend searching C:\Program Files\ for the ZoneAlarm installation directory, delete it to clear any possibly corrupt profile information then try a reinstall and see if everything works.

HTH :tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts

So, if that fixes it I'd recommend searching C:\Program Files\ for the ZoneAlarm installation directory, delete it to clear any possibly corrupt profile information then try a reinstall and see if everything works.

Don't do that you never delete a folder on C:\Program Files\ unless you have unistalled the program. At least I know you have it now and can say I am sure that it is blocking the downloads. I had it for a while and had to shut it down every time I went to Windows Update.

I would advise that you unistall it (not delete) and then install Kerio Firewall Personal Edition it is easy to use and does not cause as many problems like this on.

ts1

ts1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks,

Here's what I did....

I uninstalled ZoneAlarm, then deleted the directory and reinstalled. Yahoo file transfer now works. I've just saved the link you gave and I'll give that a try.

Looks like the problems solved though :tazz:

There was a wierd symptom or 2 of this... I've only just made the connection:

On the last ZoneAlarm install, all programs were disabled access to the internet. Thats no problem, I worked through them. But I was getting no log alerts when trying to update etc. Maybe it wasn't working too well?

I haven't been able to check the windows update. Maybe mark this as closed? I'll get the firewall you recommended and post again if I'm having problems? Ok?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Glad to see that it is working. We don't close thread except in the malware forum.

If you do have trouble come back and we will continue to help.