Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd

• Please log in to reply

clkp

clkp

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hello:

Before I asked my question I'd like everyone to know that I have nothing to do with copyrighted material or anything pirated that being said, here's my question:

My kids have sent me up some home movies, and I've been able to extract the mpegs and join them with a different program. I used DVD lab, and I've produced a DVD. However the PC plays the DVD disc fine, but I can't get my DVD player to accept that disk. The player I have is a apex, and it plays everything. Except the DVDs I made. I use DVD+rw disks and they are all formatted.I've made sure to finalize each disk.the DVD discs are all compatible with my machine and software.however when I put the DVD disc into my DVD player. I get the error "disk error".

When I explore the DVD desk that I wrote to. I see that the MPEG has got the Windows media player logo on, and I'm wondering if that might be the problem. If you have any input for this. Please let me know. I appreciate it.
CLKP

PS if this is not the correct area to post this question, please let me know.

Advertisements

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I'm just guessing and maybe inquiring at the same time...But...I don't think burning mpegs (as mpegs) to a dvd will play on a Dvd player....will it??....

I copy VHS disks and transfer them to dvd but when they're first copied they're in mpeg 2 format...Then I use a program to create the VOB files so I can burn it to dvd....All goes well every time...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
standard dvd players will not play mpeg video..(to my knowledge)...i think they either have to be i VOB or VCD format...and VCD i think only works on CDr disks...i'm also not 100% sure on dvd RW compatability with dvd players

clkp

clkp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
you're both right. I didn't mean to say I was burning the MPEG files to the DVD. What I'm doing is taking those MPEG files taking them to DVD lab, which in turn produces a.vob file. The .vob file is what I burned to a DVD and it plays on the PC.
however I think you may have hit on something here. The DVD that I used to burn to is a DVD +rw.I'm going to use a DVD R see if that won't work in my player. It just might, because the RW's or formatted differently.
I don't like making coasters on my DVD discs, but I'll sacrifice this one as I think it might work.I will let you know, thanks

clkp

clkp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
well I did not make a coaster out of that DVD R but it still won't play on my DVD player .I'm going to go to a neighbors and try it on hers and see what happens, if you can come up with any other information on this let me know, I sure appreciate you guys and the time you put into this and this site is really fabulous, keep up the good work.
clkp