Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot install anti spyware programs

• Please log in to reply

tomatojay

tomatojay

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
hey i'm having a problem. i'm trying to clean a computer out but i'm havning some errors...i can install avg and ewido, but when i install adaware and spybot i get this...

the procedure entry point SHRerGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll

microsoft's site doesn't have any solution so i thought i'd ask here.

the computer is an older compaq running win xp home. i ran hijackthis and it's clean.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hey mater

Description:
shlwapi.dll is a library which contains functions for UNC and URL paths, registry entries, and color settings.

it's also appartenly tied to IE...and most references suggest to update your IE...or repair it

tomatojay

tomatojay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
alrighty then i'll give that a whirl

tomatojay

tomatojay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
ok well i can't do it that easy. i can't even run the updater. and i tried to run the ie6 sp1 but got a error with that dll again. so now i'm tring to update it manully. the computer isn't even xp sp2. i don't know who loaded windows on this thing, but i'm about to tell the customer it's not worth it. it's a celeron 600 with 64mb ram.

tomatojay

tomatojay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
ok well this computer is shot. i couldn't even get sp2 to install. i couldn't do a restore. i'm going to tell them if they want it fixed they need to reinstall windows xp.

thanks for the help anyways.