Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Rom Quit Reading CD's

• Please log in to reply

nslick345

nslick345

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Just this week, my CD-Rom drive will no longer read (provide any info) files that are on the CD Rom. First, I thought I had some bad CD's but after trying several, I realized that something was not right. I also tried my CD's on another computer & they will open on it.

I've run all of the system utilities I can find & can't find anything wrong. The device manager indicates the CD Rom is working fine & shows no other device conflicts. I tried to find another driver but Windows says I have the best driver already installed. I recently did the following to my PC......installed software (from CD-Rom) to link a Zire 72 PDA. That was on 1/1/05 & it went fine. I also burned a few music CD's a few days later & that went well too. Last weekend, I submitted a "hijack that log" file to this forum for another issue I was having & made all of the suggested changes. I have not noticed any other issues with my computer operations. I have no idea if either of these could have affected my system but wanted to mention it before troubleshooting begins. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Nancy :tazz:

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
This is a long shot, but wouldn't hurt to try (CDGone Patch):
http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=15

nslick345

nslick345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No go....but thanks for the help.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
It could be dirt on the optical lense. I was working on a friends' pc a while back...I put my utility disk in and his drive only recognized 4 files. I put the nozzle of a compressed air can in thru the drive shutter and blew it out. The drive then recognized all 40 files....

nslick345

nslick345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the suggestion but that didn't work either.

Does anyone have any idea as to how I might check my CD-Rom to see if it might actually be the device instead of some hardware or software conflict? I spent the better part of Sunday on the internet trying a wide variety of suggestions/solutions including registry errors & everything appears to check out okay. I deleted & reinstalled drivers, etc. & still keep getting a message when I open the CD-Rom properties that device is working properly. But my light keeps blinking & cd's won't open. By the way, I can't read or write CD's.

Thanks! :tazz:

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Nslick345

The only way to really tell if it happens to be your drive is to put the drive into another cp, hopefully you have a second one around that you can try it with or at the very least, a very good buddy that will install the drive into his system.

If the drive still will not work on the second system, then its time to purchase another one. Hope this helps :tazz:

nslick345

nslick345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Folks,

When all was said & done, it turned out to be a broken CD-RW. Purchased a new one, installed it last night & it's working perfectly. Thanks to all who viewed & special thanks to all who offered assistance.

Nancy

nation1948

nation1948

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Nancy,
I am having the same problem, so I jsut ordered a new one also.. What the heck this ones a few years old, time to upgrade anyway...
Take care
Dave

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Generally, if the drive appears in the device manager without any error messages, then it's hardware failure. CD drives contain a lot of moving parts, and they are manufactured under extreme price pressure.

I would guess optical drives are the most prone to fail of any PC component.