Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Access denied to my music files? WHY

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,
I dont beleive this,,,, my 3rd post in as many days.
Here goes,,,, i transferred nearly 30gb of " my music " to drive D, as i was formatting and re-installing xp on drive C. I have now finished all was doing, and apart from a few little probs ( now resolved), all seems well. Every other file or folder i transferred, or copied to my back up drive has succesfully been transferred, or copied back to drive C without any problems, apart from my music files.
Every time i click on the folder, or try to open it i get an "ACCESS DENIED" error message.
As a back up to my d drive backup , i have also copied the important stuff like my music onto an external drive, (call me over cautious, but i have lost stuff before), but it would be much easier to just transfer from the d to c drive.
I dont understand why there is an error message and no access to the folder. Am completly gutted.
PLEASE HELP,,,
Cheers kev.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the files were in your My Documents folder under your previous XP installation and your user account was password protected, then the security settings are carried over as well, if the drive was formatted NTFS. And as you're not in that account anymore, access is therefore denied.

Reboot into Safe Mode, go into Adminstrator, view the folder in question and its properties, should be a security tab. In there somewhere is an option to take ownership.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi rxkevco!

Is this the exact error message that you receive?

Folder is not accessible. Access is denied.

Fenor

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Hello!
Please read this. It has instructions for taking ownership of a file with XP.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the other posts.
Edit 2: I don't think you need to go in Safe Mode to change ownership in XP Pro, only Home.

Edited by Pi rules, 14 October 2005 - 05:13 PM.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
The actual error message says " D:/ my music is not accessible, access denied. " If it is to do with a password or security issue, then surely it would have denied access to "my pictures " or "my videos " or any number of other folders and programmes i transferred. Why just this one.
cheers for the replys, keep em coming kev.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I honestly don't know. Were they all from your original My Documents folder? If so, then I surprised that all of them don't say that. Neil Jones has a pretty good explanation of why the My Music folder is like that.

Just try the link I provided and see if it helps.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hey, might have sussed it out. There is a possibility that i may have cut and pasted this file onto my external drive, cos i have just checked the properties of the music folder on d drive that i cant access, and its empty ???? dont know how , but its defenetly got nought in it.
Will have to copy the folder from my external drive, when i get a chance. Why do things like this come in threes ???
Should start another thread i suppose,,,, i copied all my email stuff onto the d drive as well, ,,,, and just tried to copy it all back into outlook express,,, but its all in DBX files. what on earth do i do with these ???
dont tell me i have lost these as well ? all my addresses and important mail.
WHAT A DAY, JEEZ

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
All your email files go into the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\usernamehere\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{36877F71-8E0C-479D-9743-87E415783B5F}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just a note, but the {36877F71-8E0C-479D-9743-87E415783B5F} folder might not be the exact same as mine, so if it's not the same don't be alarmed.

Fenor