Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two problems

• Please log in to reply

woodfloor45

woodfloor45

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi! I recently acquired a new (to me) computer with Windows 98 installed. I have two problems that I'd like your help with, please.

First, my mouse seems to skip or overshoot it's mark and seems unresponsive a lot of the time. Do I need a new mouse or is there something going on.

Second, when I disconnect from the internet it takes anywhere from 45-60 seconds before the modem actually hangs up. The computer I used before disconnected almost instantaneously and this wait seems rather long to me.

Thanks for any suggestions you can make.
Jeanne :tazz:

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
The mouse may need some cleaning. Take off the cover (you should see it on the bottom), take out the ball and clean it with some rubbing alcohol. Blow the inside out with pressurized air. And if there is any grit on the bars, rub them off. See if that helps.

About the modem - you can post a hijack this log and we could take a look at it. Look at my signature for instructions. :tazz:

Stig of the Dump

Stig of the Dump

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Keep talking to Coachwife who has made good suggestions, but it may also be worth checking the drivers that you have installed for the mouse. That said, a new mouse is usually the quickest and cheapest solution.

On the modem, have you checked the properties of the modem and on the connection tag see if there is a value in the "Disconnect if connection idle for more than [N] minutes"? If there is and the value is low, it means your not hanging up on demand, just on idle time. If that is the case it may be a pain using other things, and if so we can probably suggest a couple of options.

As I say, just take this as complementary to Coachwife who I am certain will come up with some good solutions.

Good luck.
:tazz:

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Thanks S 'o D. I always try to take the easy route first and then work up from there. You can jump in at any time. :tazz: